website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

Looking at history, I wouldn't trust Russia to uphold an Olympic truce :p

It's 50/50.

In 2008 they didn't - Georgia.

In 2014 they didn't.

In 2022 Mr. Putin flew to China before the games, they agreed that the war has to wait, not to spoil the Chinese headlines and everything started on Feb 24th. So they some-kind-of did. Or rather: they used this time for final preparations, so they didn't.

If they are in Paris 2024 they will uphold an olympic truce for 2.5 week then. But they come back to what they do a few days later.

If they aren't in Paris 2024 - they won't uphold an olympic truce. Possibly not only in Ukraine.

That's my bet, as things stand today.

5 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Looking at history, I wouldn't trust Russia to uphold an Olympic truce :p

And today doesn't exactly help: Russia announced a cease-fire from their side (so they can blame Ukraine of breaking it) during their Christmas days this week, yet today they're already firing :facepalm: 

As always: you can trust Russian authorities blindly, because you know they'll do exactly the opposite of whatever they promised and announced.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Seriously, did you expect any other reaction? Talking about any possibility to have RUS athletes at the 2024 Olympics NOW is so out of place. The IOC has to end this discussion or the Olympics will be overshadowed by it.

Edited by LowerSaxony

2 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

Seriously, did you expect any other reaction? Talking about any possibility to have RUS athletes at the 2024 Olympics NOW is so out of place. The IOC has to end this discussion or the Olympics will be overshadowed by it.

You got me all wrong here.

we agree 100% here.

this :nopompom: is reaction is because - well, „here we go again” feeling

and i just only want to watch one Olympics without CNN alerts scaring me all the time…

Russia won't be allowed as long as it isn't financially profitable for IOC, that's about it. IOC doesn't care about any other reasons (human rights, deaths, etc are not their real concern).

If NATO countries won't participate as long as there are russian athletes, then Russia won't ever come back. IOC are not dumb, they know who is their main cash cow. 

4 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

You got me all wrong here.

we agree 100% here.

this :nopompom: is reaction is because - well, „here we go again” feeling

and i just only want to watch one Olympics without CNN alerts scaring me all the time…

No CNN alert has scared me so far, there isn't going to be some massive boycot or something :p 

Best case scenario: every single country competes in Paris in 2024 and this whole current mess is behind us. Unlikely, thanks to Russia obviously.

Worst case scenario: Russia, Belarus (because banned) and maybe Ukraine (because other priorities) aren't competing, but the rest will.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Political problems will be resolved by banning one country or another? Sure... :rolleyes:

No, but of course it would be rather inappropriate to have the Russian flag swinging around left and right at this very moment :p 

Personally I'm not against Russian athletes competing under a neutral flag or something like that, but definitely not under their flag right now.

Edited by heywoodu