website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

8 minutes ago, amen09 said:

Indian is a part  and member of NAM (non aligned movement ) 

Like many others countries in south America and Africa 

And Belarus, 'funnily'.

Interesting list of leaders throughout the years, this NAM :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Well, I don't see how this is "handling a difficult situation quite well". But everyone is entitled to have an opinion.

India is not a player in the conflict. For us the primary concern is 1) Trying to avert a global World War and 2) safe evacuation of 20K Indians stuck in Ukraine. And I reiterate Indian government is doing the best it can to meet both goals. 

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And Belarus, 'funnily'.

Interesting list of leaders throughout the years, this NAM :p 

NAM is a useless organisation with zero effect on Indian foreign policy or any country's foreign policy for that matter. But, funny that you mentioned pro-Russia Belarus while ignoring that NAM also has almost all Africa, Caribbean and Asia as its members including Singapore, Thailand and Philippines.

21 minutes ago, Dolby said:

India is not a player in the conflict. For us the primary concern is 1) Trying to avert a global World War and 2) safe evacuation of 20K Indians stuck in Ukraine. And I reiterate Indian government is doing the best it can to meet both goals. 

Yeah, I'm sure global peace will be within reach because India chose to be neutral here.

The "not my problem" approach is everything we need right now to avoid a global war.

Apparently this young Ukrainian biathlete has died while fighting against the invaders.

https://www.biathlon.com.ua/en/profile/5813-evgeniy-malishev

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

Yeah, I'm sure global peace will be within reach because India chose to be neutral here.

The "not my problem" approach is everything we need right now to avoid a global war. Genius.

And what has NATO/EU exactly done to help Ukraine? Apart from empty speeches? NATO watched silently when Crimea was annexed. Everybody knew that Russia was going to invade Ukraine but did they do anything? Tell me how many NATO soldiers are there in Ukraine? Sanctions on Russia excludes energy sector, which is Russia's major export. They were even debating if diamonds and hand bags should be exempted or not. And yet it is India's "not my problem" approach which is preventing peace. 

We depend a lot on Russia for defence equipment. If Pakistan and/or China try some mischief, how much can we rely on USA/NATO? We know we are on our own, which was more than visible in the initial days of Delta wave, and we will do what is best in our interest. World does the same. 

:SVK Football federation announced in its statement that any of the Slovak football teams will not play any match against Russia and Belarus in the coming months regardless of the name or flag under which they might play https://futbalsfz.sk/stanovisko-sfz-k-sucasnej-situacii-na-ukrajine-a-k-rozhodnutiam-fifa-i-uefa/

I honestly don't have a thought about all this, but anyway Russia and Belarus were finally banned in volleyball as well. Too bad, I was curious about their team this year, especially after the Olympics. :(

https://www.fivb.com/en/about/news/fivb-declares-russia-and-belarus-not-eligible?id=96823

1 hour ago, Dolby said:

we will do what is best in our interest

Yes, and that's it. So, don't try to justify this decision by mentioning that India is trying to help avoiding a global war. A neutral reaction right now only shows India defends its own interests and is not worried about Ukraine or peace at all.