website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

49 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Why Azerbaïdjan has not been banned by any sport federation ? Lack of twitter outrage ? ...

Or lack of a leader who seriously said to the whole world, in 2022: this country doesn't exist, it's ours, now  we invade and anyone intervening will get his country nuked?

52 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

How long does this thing need to go on in order for Russia and Belarus to be relegated so much that the Netherlands can move up? :p 

3 years minimum assuming you will not be relegated until then :p

However IIHF still did not entirely decided how they will solve the whole relegation/promotion thing or RUS/BLR will just miss this year championship or the tournament will be played by only 14 teams... and in case that that petulant asshole will finally find his pills and the world will return to normal...the both countries will be immediately reinstated to the top division back ?

IIHF updated its tournament list, removing RUS and BLR from Top division, but kept both :FRA and :AUT in Division I A, so who knows what this will exactly means ? https://www.iihf.com/en/tournaments

2 hours ago, justony said:

My opinion is sports should not be conflicted with politics. It is fair they cancelled all competitions, especially due to safety reasons. But it is definitely not right to punish athletes, who do not have nothing with political actions of their "leader". It is plain stupid and unfair.

I mean…those athletes are representing a political entity. Their uniforms (in normal non-WADA sanction times) are adorned with the same flags as those of the soldiers invading another country, preventing athletes another country from being able to participate in, or even think about, sport.

I understand the desire to see athletes from Russia or Belarus at competitions, but these are two counties that have repeatedly, and flagrantly, violated the rules of the Olympic Movement.

Russia has broken the Olympic Truce three times in only two decades. They’ve also run a state-sponsored doping program, and had numerous other doping issues before and since that program was discovered. They also attempted to manipulate evidence during the investigation into those issues.

Belarus has repeatedly discriminated against athletes on a political basis. They are also actively aiding a country in breaking the Olympic Truce.

Like it or not, at base level, athletes are representatives of their countries in international sports. If your country is engaging in activity counter to the values of the Olympic Movement, it’s hard to argue your country deserves to be included in international competition.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, hckošice said:

3 years minimum assuming you will not be relegated until then :p

However IIHF still did not entirely decided how they will solve the whole relegation/promotion thing or RUS/BLR will just miss this year championship or the tournament will be played by only 14 teams... and in case that that petulant asshole will finally find his pills and the world will return to normal...the both countries will be immediately reinstated to the top division back ?

IIHF updated its tournament list, removing RUS and BLR from Top division, but kept both :FRA and :AUT in Division I A, so who knows what this will exactly means ? https://www.iihf.com/en/tournaments

Well, the news of the exclusion of RUS and BLR came only a few hours ago. International boards and federation do not work like social media - they need to come together in order to discuss and decide about this (and I guess they need to contact FRA and AUT, who also have to formally decide about that - likely - invitation). So, even if I hate how reluctant and slow IOC and most federation operate, I guess we have to give them at least some days to decide about the further proceedings.

1 hour ago, SalamAkhi said:

So no more freedom of opinion ? 

You could argue it’s never existed in the Olympic Movement. Rule 50 prevents true freedom of expression at the Olympic Games. Plus, many users on here have alleged political or social discrimination within their own NOCs based on what athletes have said or their relationships with officials.

I do agree that “loyalty tests” or “dissident tests” or whatever you want to label them are ethically dubious, but to claim freedom of expression is only being violated now is selective policy.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Sport is always mixed with politics (as almost everything in life, actually), but IMO athletes should never be banned from competition due to a political decision (whatever it is) from their government. Punish the national federation, get rid of the name, the flag, the anthem, whatever you want, but let them compete. 

Also, I think Rublev signing "no war" on a camera sends a more powerful message than banning him from competition.

I normally agree that sport should be left out of politics.  However, in ancient Greece warring factions would agree to a ceasefire in order to participate in the Olympics.  In this case, Ukrainian athletes are unable to participate in several cases due to Russia's illegal invasion.  It would be incredibly poor optics to allow Russian athletes to travel the world freely and compete for their country while their government prevents competitors from Ukraine to do the same.  

Further, in an effort to avoid all out physical war, countries are attempting to end this as peacefully as possible.  Excluding and embarrassing Russia, including through sport, is part of that effort.  Banning Russian sports teams and athletes actually is an attempt at peace.  

1 hour ago, Dunadan said:

Or lack of a leader who seriously said to the whole world, in 2022: this country doesn't exist, it's ours, now  we invade and anyone intervening will get his country nuked?

You must have not been paying attention last year when Aliyev did that to Armenians...