website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

9 minutes ago, Agger said:

There's really no way to disconnect those two, sadly. Russia have been using sports for political purpose quite a lot.

Personally I wouldn't mind Russian athletes participating as long as they unconditionally go against the invasion and show up without anything russian. Meanwhile people like Karjakin and Viatjeslav Barkov should be kept far away from international events.

But also, I do think the IOC has a decent point. The invasion keeps Ukrainian athletes away as their country is under attack. Then let's keep the attacking nations away as well.

So no more freedom of opinion ? 

"Are you unconditionally against the invasion" ? "Yes of course (not at all in fact, what are you gonna do ? Torture me ?)".

What about non-Russians/Belarussians possibly in favor of it too ? Are we implementing a kind of "Freedom Pass" ? "I see you've not provided any position on this matter on Instagram, please proceed or we shall consider you pro-Russian". 

43 minutes ago, Agger said:

There's really no way to disconnect those two, sadly. Russia have been using sports for political purpose quite a lot.

Personally I wouldn't mind Russian athletes participating as long as they unconditionally go against the invasion and show up without anything russian. Meanwhile people like Karjakin and Viatjeslav Barkov should be kept far away from international events.

But also, I do think the IOC has a decent point. The invasion keeps Ukrainian athletes away as their country is under attack. Then let's keep the attacking nations away as well.

That's fucking insane. You want to ban people from sport (and from their living) based on their political view. 

6 hours ago, hckošice said:

Yep the groups should be

A- (Helsinki):

Canada

Russia Austria

Germany

Switzerland

Slovakia

Denmark

Kazakhstan

Italy

B- (Tampere):

Finland

USA

Czech Republic

Sweden

Latvia

Norway

Belarus France

Great Britain

The only question which will remain is (if the IIHF council will confirm it tonight) if there will be any relegated team from the tournament, if no:

RUS and BLR would be able to return next year.

if there would be relegation: than RUS and BLR will be really retrograded to Division IA this year and since they will not be allowed to play they will be by default relegated to Division I B next year and so on...

How long does this thing need to go on in order for Russia and Belarus to be relegated so much that the Netherlands can move up? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, justony said:

My opinion is sports should not be conflicted with politics. It is fair they cancelled all competitions, especially due to safety reasons. But it is definitely not right to punish athletes, who do not have nothing with political actions of their "leader". It is plain stupid and unfair.

Exactly. Or well, make them compete under a neutral flag, we can't go around parading Russian and Belarussian flags and such...the only reason to take them out of sports is to try and create more unrest against Putin, but that's not likely to work I guess.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

34 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Why Azerbaïdjan has not been banned by any sport federation ? Lack of twitter outrage ? ...

I suppose there must be someone out there who thinks France should also be banned for keeping troops in Mali for years.

You see, almost no nation is safe, so drawing criticism against other nations here to take the focus off of the Russia-Ukraine conflict will take us nowhere.

1 hour ago, Agger said:

I do think this a policy worth exploring. It could help organize a uniform response to military conflict and political crisis in the future.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela