website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG World Cup 2022

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Makedonas said:

https://sportsfeed.gr/me-to-symvolo-tis-eisvolis-agonistike-rosos-sto-pagkosmio-kypello-gymnastikis/

According to this, Russian Ivan Kuliak competed at the World Cup in Doha with the symbol of the invasion ("Z") on his outfit.

Many fans are asking for his medal to be stripped and for him to be banned. I support this. Actually, I support stripping every medal earned by Russian and Belarusian gymnasts this year. 

On 3/6/2022 at 4:24 AM, Makedonas said:

https://sportsfeed.gr/me-to-symvolo-tis-eisvolis-agonistike-rosos-sto-pagkosmio-kypello-gymnastikis/

According to this, Russian Ivan Kuliak competed at the World Cup in Doha with the symbol of the invasion ("Z") on his outfit.

Probably a proof that most Russians support what's currently happening.

On 3/6/2022 at 12:17 AM, thiago_simoes said:

Many fans are asking for his medal to be stripped and for him to be banned. I support this. Actually, I support stripping every medal earned by Russian and Belarusian gymnasts this year. 

Just out of sincere curiousity and in no way meant as an 'attacking' question: how would it be fair to athletes (other than this Kuliak dude) to take away medals they won fair and square (presumably) weeks before their government decided to attack another nation? It won't 'teach them a lesson', because government and people won't care, and the only ones who do care (the athletes) had nothing to do with the whole thing.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 3/5/2022 at 10:24 PM, Makedonas said:

It's true

On 3/7/2022 at 3:32 AM, heywoodu said:

Just out of sincere curiousity and in no way meant as an 'attacking' question: how would it be fair to athletes (other than this Kuliak dude) to take away medals they won fair and square (presumably) weeks before their government decided to attack another nation? It won't 'teach them a lesson', because government and people won't care, and the only ones who do care (the athletes) had nothing to do with the whole thing.

The first World Cup stage took place after the invasion. The very first event, men's floor, was won by a Belarusian and he was forbidden to hear the anthem and the flag was not displayed. By the time the second stage took place, many international federations had already banned RUS and BLR, but FIG withheld the suspension until March 7th. So, in my opinion, BLR and RUS should not even have participated at the WC stages this year.

And do you really think "innocent" gymnasts have nothing to do with it? They represent nations, not themselves, or the FIG, or the IOC. This is not tennis, where athletes couldn't care less about their nations and are trying to make a name for themselves. This is about the nations, and has always been like that. Take Kuliak, for example, making a political statement with a Z on his leotard on the podium. Russia is crazy about gymnastics and even results at the World Cup are widely celebrated in national media, so stripping medals is a slap on the face in a way. You're free to think the athletes have nothing to do with it, but I fail to see things like this.