website statistics

Canada at the 2022 Commonwealth Games

intoronto

Here is an update to Canada's 2022 Commonwealth Games team

Canada can only enter a max of 130 athletes (minus para sport) across these sports at Birmingham 2022:

Athletics, Aquatics, Badminton, Boxing, Cycling, Gymnastics, Judo, Lawn Bowls, Squash, Triathlon, Wrestling

These sports are open qualification:

(3x3 Basketball, Beach Volleyball, Hockey, Rugby Sevens, Table Tennis, Weightlifting,and all para events). - These are all sports Canada has qualified in, with more quotas possible in the individual events.

Here are the quotas for these sports

Athletics: 31

Badminton: 8

Boxing: ??

Cycling: 16 (a reduction of 2 from 2018). Canada will not compete in mountain biking or the team pursuit events in track.

Gymnastics: 13

Diving: ??

Judo: 9 (looks like an A team is going)

Lawn Bowls: 10

Squash:  4 (increase of 2)

Swimming: 23

Triathlon: 6

Wrestling: 12

132/146 used.

9 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

While I get the need to have quota limitations for each sport, they really need to have qualifiers for all sports instead of giving a country an overall quota.

This edition was supposed to be the end of this system, with 2026 to have qualifiers across the board. However not sure if this has changed with the CGF dropping all core sports minus athletics and swimming

7 minutes ago, intoronto said:

This edition was supposed to be the end of this system, with 2026 to have qualifiers across the board. However not sure if this has changed with the CGF dropping all core sports minus athletics and swimming

One of the issues I remember was that it would have quashed a lot of the smaller nations, especially the dependencies which rarely compete internationally. Of course, that's an easy fix, give every nation 15-20 athletes to use as they please (outside of team sports) and decrease them as they qualify athletes regularly.

Athletics only has a quota of 31, which is disappointing. On the last page is the qualification times/distances, and some are really insane: https://athletics.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Birmingham-2022-Nomination-Criteria-March-4-EN.pdf

This leaves 6 quotas among boxing and diving... 

Those times/distances are quite high, we may not even get 31 athletes to fill those quotas.

I have a feeling we may not compete in either diving or boxing. It's hard to see us compete in both with six total athletes. Even with six athletes in diving we will be leaving at least one medal behind...

14 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Those times/distances are quite high, we may not even get 31 athletes to fill those quotas.

I have a feeling we may not compete in either diving or boxing. It's hard to see us compete in both with six total athletes. Even with six athletes in diving we will be leaving at least one medal behind...

Both NF;s confirmed they will be competing. Diving told me they will send a full team, but not a number

25 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Both NF;s confirmed they will be competing. Diving told me they will send a full team, but not a number

Then I suspect we will be sending more than six athletes in those two sports. The minimum for diving is 4 and that's with all athletes competing in all the individual and synchro events, that's just asking too much of them, realistically we would need 7-8 for a full diving team.