website statistics

Karate Discussion Thread

phelps

something I didn't know from the varied and complec world of Karate...

the relatively new organization Karate Combat (which includes basically all the styles of Karate and promotes full contact fights) has signed a lot of "Olympic Karate" (which actually is not a proper style) stars for their upcoming 4th season...:yikes:

@MHSN

and to my big surprise, there are also the 3 Iranian superstars, Bahman Askari, Zabiollah Poorshab and Sajjad Ganjzadeh...:yikes:

p.s. I didn't even know that Poorshab comes from a different school than the usual Shotokan, where almost all the Olympic fighters normally come from...

here is the Karate Combat website with many info, including their roster (quite poor among the women so far, we must admit) and TV/Streaming partners...

https://www.karate.com/

3 hours ago, phelps said:

@MHSN

and to my big surprise, there are also the 3 Iranian superstars, Bahman Askari, Zabiollah Poorshab and Sajjad Ganjzadeh...:yikes:

p.s. I didn't even know that Poorshab comes from a different school than the usual Shotokan, where almost all the Olympic fighters normally come from...

Shotokan is the dominant school here as well. that's surprising to see most big names come from Shitoryu (and even Gojoryu) :mumble:

Karate 1 Premier League

Stage #2 (:POR Matosinhos) Medalllists Recap

Women's Individual Kata

Gold: :JPN Kiyou Shimizu
Silver: :HKG Grace Lau Mo Sheung
Bronze: :JPN Maho Ono & :JPN Hikaru Ono

Men's Individual Kata

Gold: :JPN Kakeru Nishiyama
Silver: :TUR Alì Sofuoglu
Bronze: :ESP Damian Hugo Quintero Capdevila & :TUR Enes Ozdemir

Women's Individual Kumite, -50kg

Gold: :VEN Yorgelis Salazar
Silver: :TUR Serap Ozcelik Arapoglu
Bronze: :POR Sara Leal & :GER Seden Bugur

Women's Individual Kumite, -55kg

Gold: :UKR Anzhelika Terliuga
Silver: :TUR Tuba Yakan
Bronze: :ITA Veronica Brunori & :GRE Maria Stoli

Women's Individual Kumite, -61kg

Gold: :UKR Anita Serogina
Silver: :KAZ Assel Kanay
Bronze: :CAN Haya Jumaa & :UKR Diana Shostak

Women's Individual Kumite, -68kg

Gold: :ITA Silvia Semeraro
Silver: :AZE Irina Zaretska
Bronze: :SUI Elena Quirici & :UKR Halyna Melnyk

Women's Individual Kumite, +68kg

Gold: :CRO Lucija Lesiak
Silver: :TUR Meltem Hocaoglu Akyol
Bronze: :JPN Ayaka Saito & :NED Ingrid Creemers

Men's Individual Kumite, -60kg

Gold: :GRE Christos-Stefanos Xenos
Silver: :ITA Angelo Crescenzo
Bronze: :TUR Eray Samdan & :ITA Danilo Greco

Men's Individual Kumite, -67kg

Gold: :FRA Steven Dacosta
Silver: :JOR Abdel Rahman Almasatfa
Bronze: :SUI Noah Pisino & :JPN Soichiro Nakano

Men's Individual Kumite, -75kg

Gold: :ITA Daniele De Vivo
Silver: :AZE Farid Aghayev
Bronze: :USA Thomas Scott & :UKR Andrii Zaplitnyi

Men's Individual Kumite, -84kg

Gold: :NED Brian Timmermans
Silver: :ITA Michele Martina
Bronze: :EGY Mohamed Ramadan & :KSA Faraj Alnashri

Men's Individual Kumite, +84kg

Gold: :ESP Babacar Seck Sakho
Silver: :CUW Rob Timmermans
Bronze: :CRO Andjelo Kvesic & :BEL Luca Costa

Nice, not everyday you see a medal at international events for :CUW :clap:

A little off topic, but they’ll be sending a delegation to the South American Youth Games. I’m not sure if that means they’re eligible for all ODESUR events, but we might be seeing some more representation for them in the future.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

19 minutes ago, phelps said:

Karate 1 Premier League

Stage #2 (:POR Matosinhos) Medalllists Recap

this is the 2nd K1 event that Iranians are missing. they missed last year World Championship in UAE too. actually since Olympics Iran didn't participate in any non-Asian tournaments !!

I'm afraid we won't see them in international competition for a while (except Asian tournaments) reason? officially nobody knows. unofficially I heard things but I can't write them here. :(

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

A little off topic, but they’ll be sending a delegation to the South American Youth Games. I’m not sure if that means they’re eligible for all ODESUR events, but we might be seeing some more representation for them in the future.

PASO is allowing nations without IOC recognition to participate in lower level events. Many will participate at the 2022 Caribbean Games.

14 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

still, the Timmermans brothers are full "white" Dutch guys (they are from Heerlen, and they have a third brother also playing Karate)...;)

I don't know why Rob is competing for Curacao, meanwhile his brother Brian is competing for their "regular" Home Nation, the Netherlands...:mumble:

14 hours ago, MHSN said:

this is the 2nd K1 event that Iranians are missing. they missed last year World Championship in UAE too. actually since Olympics Iran didn't participate in any non-Asian tournaments !!

I'm afraid we won't see them in international competition for a while (except Asian tournaments) reason? officially nobody knows. unofficially I heard things but I can't write them here. :(

well, I don't know what kind of problems exist right now in the Iranian federation, but I think that those guys who signed for the Karate Combat organization could be out for a while from the Olympic Karate, as they have to train properly for the full contact version and they're also likely have an exclusive with the new job (for Askari it's also a chance to take himself in good shape while he's DSQ at IOC level)...:mumble:

• 3 weeks later...

Stage #3 of the Karate 1 Premier League is underway in :MAR Rabat

and it's sad to be said, but in my whole life (since I've been following Karate) I've never seen a poor participation in a K1PL event like this week (average level is even way below Serie A standard)...

never, even before Karate was thought to become an Olympic sport...:cry: :( :facepalm:

however, see you tomorrow for our usual medallists' recap...