website statistics

Corruption in the IOC

Molly30

4 hours ago, FancyFenchel said:

I think that IOC used bribes to secure that China will stage the Games. :D After disaster as all other/ european cities withdraw, IOC was happy to have someone, who is willing to do it and have money... and don't have to ask its people. ;)

Don't forget, the IOC used "bribes" to get LA to wait until 2028.  

Welcome to Totallympics Molly,

I think that the IOC is corrupt (although less so than some IFs), rotten even but with the host cities up for selection being Beijing and Almaty (Kazakhstan) I think they made the right decision. I don't think the Chinese needed to bribe them.

@Grassmarket Qazaqstan is romanised from Kazakh, Kazakhstan is romanised from Russian, so I guess it's like the Ukrainians changing the English name of their capital from Kiev (Russian) to Kyiv (Ukrainian)

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

14 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Welcome to Totallympics Molly,

I think that the IOC is corrupt (although less so than some IFs), rotten even but with the host cities up for selection being Beijing and Almaty (Kazakhstan) I think they made the right decision. I don't think the Chinese needed to bribe them.

@Grassmarket Qazaqstan is romanised from Kazakh, Kazakhstan is romanised from Russian, so I guess it's like the Ukrainians changing the English name of their capital from Kiev (Russian) to Kyiv (Ukrainian)

Probably yes, also like when Georgia started to ask other countries where the name of their country comes from the Russian word (Gruzija - Грузия) to call them "Georgia" instead.

For example, in Hungarian the name of Georgia is "Grúzia" which comes from the Russian form above, and Georgia started to campaign after the 2008 war to call it Georgia instead.