website statistics

Day 14 (February 18th, 2022)

Just now, orangeman said:

I had a feeling about him in this race!

Yeah same! In the world cup's, all his 1000m races came an hour after his 500m races. His problem was that he always ran out of gas in the last lap so I felt that he definitely had a chance having full rest

This marks the first time a male and female Canadian earned medals in individual speed skating events since 1998.  

Speaking of which, Drubeuil's turn in the 500 reminded me of Jeremy Wotherspoon.  Wotherspoon is one of the best sprint speed skaters of all time, earning multiple world records and world championship medals in the 500 and 1000 over several years.  Yet, he had horrible Olympics, even falling once, and only has one silver in the 500 (1998).  Truly one of the most prolific athletes to never get an Olympic gold in his sport.  If you think missing gold after one great season is bad, imagine missing it after dominating several in a row.  

Final thoughts

Well mission accomplished, we've hit my predicted 24 medal mark with two days to spare thanks to a four medal performance. The only downside was men's ski cross, but that event is always unpredictable. I'm glad Dubreuil won a medal, had a feeling he could sneak into the 1000m podium. Canada is also 4th in the two-woman bobsled though it'll be tough to move up a spot