website statistics

How Many Medals do You Expect from Your Nation at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022?

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

To be fair, Japan (and Georgia) can place better than Canada in three events. If Messing messes up, Canada can lose a lot of ground in one event, while the ice dance couple can only do so much (especially in the free dance portion).

In the bigger picture, I'm not too afraid of Georgia. Yes we could lose to them, but if we are then we are not beating Japan.

The men's singles will be very important for Canada's chances. Worst case scenario we could have :USA:RUS:GEO:ITA and maybe even :CHN if they get a host nation boost finish between Japan and Canada. Ice dancing will cover a lot of ground, but they will also need to compensate the distance in the women's singles as at best, our pair would barely finish ahead of Japan's

:CHN  It's time to make final guess and elaborate .

Short Track Speed Skating: Men's 500m/1500m and Mixed relay with decent chance to win medals even gold medals. Women's and Men's relay are always with chance given the messy situation. To be realistic and consider the unpredictability of the discipline, 2 golds and 6 medals.

Speed Skating: Men's 500m and 1500m are among gold medal contenders but with plenty rivals from US, Canada and always Netherland, also Men's 1000m also with slim chance of medal. As host, I decide to be a little optimistic, 1 gold and 2 medals.

Figure Skating: Though Russian show great competence on ECH, Chinese pairs can win the gold if skate cleanly for both short and free programs. Also China also have slim chance on team event to win a bronze medal. Once again I'm optimistic as host, 1 gold and 1 medal.

Freestyle Skiing: Aerials are quite unpredictable, Mixed team with greatest chance to win gold medal, Women's and Men's event are almost guaranteed with medals but the color is hard to predict. Super star Gu Ailing almost secures the Halfpipe gold, and also with 50% to win Big Air and 20% to win Slopestyle. In total I would guess, 3 golds and 6 medals.

Snowboarding: Su Yiming proved his ability on Big Air already. And I see great potential on his Slopestyle, hopefully he succeed Backside 1980 on OG. And Cai Xuetong has capability to win a medal even though she can't compete Chloe Kim. 1 Gold and 2 medals.

Skeleton/Bobsleigh/Curling: Hopefully at least one of these sports can make some surprise. 1 medal.

My guess: 8 golds and 18 medals

Pessimistic guess: 6 golds and 15 medals

Optimistic guess: 10 golds and 20 medals

Between 0 to 3. Only hopes are in Natalia Maliszewska on 500m in short track and Andżelik Wójcik in speed skating, also on 500m + there always an surprising medal, maybe with huge luck Maryna Gąsienica-Daniel will take medal, same about biathlon and ski jumping.

7 hours ago, NearPup said:

Canada's best medal chance outside of the team event is in ice dance. It's an extremely close fight for the bronze medal in ice dance between Giles / Poirier and the top two American pairs. If Canada doesn't get a medal in the team event (I'd say Japan is the slight favourite for bronze, but Canada can win a medal if everyone performs well) I think Giles and Poirier will be the clear sentimental favourite to win bronze in ice dance, and in ice dance things like that matter when two or more teams are essentially evenly matches (see also: Virtue and Moir in Pyeongchang, who were undoubtedly helped by the crowd and by being drawn last in the free dance).

Yes, sorry, I meant ice dance, not pairs.  I just think, "two skaters".  

MY PREDICTIONS FOR THE TOP TEN NATIONS:mumble:(IN TERMS OF TOTAL NUMBER OF MEDALS WON):

:wRUS:Russia          34

:wNOR:Norway        30

:wUSA:USA              29

:wGER:Germany      29

:wCAN:Canada        29

:wSWE:Sweden        25

:FRAFrance          23 

:SUISwitzerland  21

:wCHN:China            19

Honorable mentions: :wAUT:Austria, :NEDthe Netherlands or even both may well find themselves in the top ten. They're poised to fare (very) well in any case and win 15+ medals each. :JPNJapan will also have a great Games by my calculations.

What do you think, guys? Feel free to comment.:thumbup: