website statistics

Road to Beijing 2022 Poll #4 | How many gold medals will Netherlands win in Speed Skating in Beijing 2022?

How many gold medals will Netherlands win in speed skating in Beijing 2022? (long track only)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How many gold medals will Netherlands win in speed skating in Beijing 2022? (long track only)

• none
    • 1 or 2
    • 3 or 4
    • 5 or 6
    • 7 or 8
    • 9 or 10
    • 11 or 12
    • 14 (clean sweep)

Surprisingly, the Netherlands don't seem to have that many gold medal favorites this time. In my predictions, I had them only winning gold in the Men's 1000m, Women's 3000m and Women's 5000mm. In every other event, I believe there's at least one other person that's more favoured than a dutch athlete to win. I suppose they could also realistically win a gold medal in the Men's 1500m, Women's 500m and both mass start and team pursuit events.

47 minutes ago, dcro said:

Out of curiosity, how are the Dutch (for some) not huge favorites for both team pursuits?

The Americans set their WR in SLC and against Dutch B/C team. That definitely doesn't make them gold medal favorites.

Huge favourites....not sure, several teams are simply too strong to mention one single team as the huge favourite in my opinion. But they absolutely should be among the main favourites, no doubt.

I went for 6 golds, by the way.

M 1000

M 1500/5000/10.000

M team pursuit/mass start

W 1000/1500

W 3000/5000

W mass start/team pursuit

As always, it can go many ways. We don't need to see any huge surprises to end up with the Netherlands getting 9 gold medals...or 2.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I think it's gonna be 6 or 7, so I opted for the 5/6 answer...

imho, men's 1000m and women's 3000m, 5000m and Mass Start are a lock gold for them...

then I see NED as the huge favourites in the men's Team Pursuit and I wouldn't be surprised if they would end up with the men's 1500m gold medal, too...

meanwhile, I think they are not going to get a gold medal in the men's Mass Start and the women's 1500m + Team Pursuit, even if they are surely among the legitimate contenders...

finally, I'd name any Dutch gold medal over the men and women's 500m, women's 1000m and men's 5k + 10k a true upset...

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Out of curiosity, how are the Dutch (for some) not huge favorites for both team pursuits?

The Americans set their WR in SLC and against Dutch B/C team. That definitely doesn't make them gold medal favorites.

among the women, imho Japan have some kind of an edge over the NED right now, especially should the ice be quick...