website statistics

Wrestling 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

4 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

Majority of the wrestling team visas were rejected on grounds that they were not sure that our athletes would not overstay ..... Does Spain think that some of our best wrestlers would hide and become illegal immigrants in Spain .... Has any Indian athlete  in the last 20 overstayed ...... Just disgusted ..... I hope Spain will not be allocated any international event again 

These rules are not applicable on European countries like Spain. If India had denied visa to a support staff on such flimsy grounds, by now whole of IOC/European media would be threatening us with ban. 

Full story ..... .

The Wrestling Federation of India had picked a 30-member squad for the Under-23 Championship but only nine were granted visas.

Antim Panghal, who is India's first-ever under-20 woman world champion, was among those who were denied entry. Out of the nine coaches that applied for the visa, only six were granted access.

WFI assistant secretary Vinod Tomar was furious with the decision and said their visas were denied on frivolous grounds.

"This is something we have never faced before. Despite presenting the Indian government's clearance and an invitation from the world governing body UWW, our wrestlers have been denied visas on the most frivolous ground," said Tomar 

The assistant secretary said he was confused as to why the officers would think the wrestlers and coaches wouldn't come back to India.

"We got the rejection letters this evening (Monday) after we made a request to release the passports as soon as possible. This is really bizarre. I really don't know how the officer came to the conclusion that wrestlers and coaches won't come back to India," Tomar added.

Tomar also insisted that the Indian wrestlers were denied an opportunity to shine on the global stage by the Spanish embassy.

"Our wrestlers are strong medal contenders, they have denied them the opportunity to shine on the big stage," said Tomar.

The chief coach of the Greco-Roman squad and Dronacharya awardee, Mahabir Prasad called for Spain's ban,

recounting when United World Wrestling asked for India to allow Pakistani wrestlers for the Asian Championship in 2019.

"Spain should be fined and banned. It has already created a huge issue at the Championship. It's a matter of shame for Spain as a country. Our wrestlers lost just an opportunity but Spain has lost face.

UWW had said it would ban India if Pakistan were to deny entry for Asian championship in New Delhi. Now that was at Asian level and now this is at the world level. We will see what UWW does now," said Prasad.

The Under-23 Wrestling World Championship kicked-off today and will continue till October 23.

At the end the 9 who were able to reach despicable Spain did India proud .....1 gold by Aman in 57 men , one silver by ankush in 50 kg women , bronze by Mansi in 59 and 3 bronzes by the GR .... 6  medals out of 9 athletes .... India would have done really well and who knows even won one of the best team championships .... Shame on Spain  ....

Also @MHSN... This is probably a decent perf by India in  GR winning 3 medals ..... What did you feel , sajan has won several medals in juniors but has not really shown anything at senior level..... Rest were new ...... This is our first medals in GR in u23 ,  Your opinion ......

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

7 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Also @MHSN... This is probably a decent perf by India in  GR winning 3 medals ..... What did you feel , sajan has won several medals in juniors but has not really shown anything at senior level..... Rest were new ...... This is our first medals in GR in u23 ,  Your opinion ......

India is also progressing in Greco but not at the same speed as freestyle.
I believe I said this before that Indian wrestlers have a certain style (somehow similar to our style) which is much more effective in age group levels. they usually work with their hands on standing position, trying to make the opponent tired and score lots of points on pushouts/takedowns. that's not much effective in senior level when the opposite wrestlers are more psychically prepared (we also more or less face the same issue)

about this tournament, 3 bronze medals is indeed a good result. shows the continuing progress. Nitesh at 97kg somehow got lucky with the draw. only lost to Szoke (HUN) (World Seniors Silver medalist) but dominated the rest even though none of them were from wrestling nations. I know Sajan for a while, I was actually expecting more from him in past few years, he only lost a match to that great Moldovan guy (to me that guy Gutu is world senior medalist material) Sajan won some close matches to win the bronze. this bronze is probably the best result of his career. and about Vikas I saw him at the Asian Senior Champs earlier this year, had a good tournament, b eat some tough guys, he could even make it to the final.

but obviously I was more impressed by your freestyle guys, I saw Aman before and I would bet on him to win the gold (and he did) I believe he will take Ravi Kumar's throne soon. I wished we could see the whole Indian team in action, I'm sure there were some more "interesting" guys to see on the mat. I believe you have a very good 65kg wrestler (can't remember his name right now)

and about this visa thing, our team also almost missed the competition, the visa arrived only few hours before the flight. :wacko: but while the whole team managed to get into Spain, two of them (1 in GR and 1 in FS) received Israel draw and had to withdraw :facepalm:and that was the main reason Iran lost the freestyle title to Georgia (despite winning 4 gold medals)

On 10/25/2022 at 8:53 PM, MHSN said:

te winning 4 gold medals)

It is sickening of Spain to do this ...

The Indian team would have been this .....

MEN: FREESTYLE: Aman Sehrawat (57 kg), Akash Dahiya (61 kg), Anuj Kumar (65 kg), Parvinder Nain (70 kg), Sagar Jaglan (74 kg), Chandermohan (79 kg), Jony Kumar (86 kg), Parveen Kumar (92 kg), Sahil Ahalawat (97 kg), Anirudh Kumar (125 kg).

GRECO-ROMAN: Lalit (55 kg), Sumit Dalal (60 kg), Vinay (63 kg), Ashu (67 kg), Vikas (72 kg), Sajan Bhawanwala (77 kg), Rohit Dahiya (82 kg), Sunil Kumar (87 kg), Nitesh (97 kg), Parvesh (130 kg).

obviously I would have looked to see Sagar , jony , Praveen and anirudh in free and Sunil in Greco to win medals .... Besides in women a whole group of them .....but well.... 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

32 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

It is sickening of Spain to do this ...

The Indian team would have been this .....

MEN: FREESTYLE: Aman Sehrawat (57 kg), Akash Dahiya (61 kg), Anuj Kumar (65 kg), Parvinder Nain (70 kg), Sagar Jaglan (74 kg), Chandermohan (79 kg), Jony Kumar (86 kg), Parveen Kumar (92 kg), Sahil Ahalawat (97 kg), Anirudh Kumar (125 kg).

GRECO-ROMAN: Lalit (55 kg), Sumit Dalal (60 kg), Vinay (63 kg), Ashu (67 kg), Vikas (72 kg), Sajan Bhawanwala (77 kg), Rohit Dahiya (82 kg), Sunil Kumar (87 kg), Nitesh (97 kg), Parvesh (130 kg).

obviously I would have looked to see Sagar , jony , Praveen and anirudh in free and Sunil in Greco to win medals .... Besides in women a whole group of them .....but well.... 

I was talking about Sujeet, can't see his name in the list. I don't know some of these guys but Sagar Jagal would be indeed a medal favorite.

Sujeet beat Yianni Diakomihalis (who eventually won silver at Worlds Seniors) in Tunisia few months ago. I was surprised when he didn't win gold in World Juniors. not sure where is him now.

Greco-Roman World Cup entry list

https://uww.org/article/greco-roman-world-cup-lineups-announced

that "All-World" team looks like the favorite to me. if those wrestlers are committed to do their best. Azerbaijan and Turkey are also bringing their best teams (only Kayaalp is missing for TUR) Serbia is missing two of its hired mercenaries (Datunashvili and Arsalan) but they are very weak in half of the weights and no way they can advance to the next round. KGZ is also missing its best wrestlers

as for Iran, this is almost the U23 team + 2 or 3 senior wrestlers. still not a bad team, there are some of our future hopes in this team, I believe they can challenge Turkey.

Edited by MHSN

• 1 month later...

The freestyle World Cup (men and women) started last night in Iowa, USA. after some interesting duals, China and Ukraine made it to the women's final and it will be Iran vs USA in freestyle final (after the midnight CET time)

USA won both of its group matches easily while Iran had a hard time against "All World Team" but yet won the dual 6-4. Iran/USA is always interesting in wrestling BUT both teams are missing some big names. we have our #1 guy at 65, 79 and 92 while USA has its #1 wrestler at 61, 65, 97 and 125.

I can't see how Iran can win this dual because USA is almost guaranteed 5 wins (at least couple of them by superiority) and even by some miracle Iran wins all other 5 matches, that will still end 5-5 in favor of team USA. but Iran won the Greco World Cup title against all odds let's see what they can do tonight.

USA won the title 6-4. I was expecting the same final result but we had lots of surprising results. Jordan Burroughs finally lost to an Iranian wrestler, he was apparently 14-0 against our wrestlers :d until last night. our reserve 74kg who got manhandled by Salkazanov the other day also surprised everybody by beating Jason Nolf but on other hand we were expecting much more at 70 and 86. 70kg Yazdani (not that Yazdani) lost to a controversial last second challenge)

and our coach made a gamble sending our 92kg World Champion to 97kg to face 97kg World Champion Kyle Snyder. with this Iran lost both matches because our reserve 92kg guy made lots of mistakes and Ghasempour at 97kg couldn't stand against Snyder who was 10kg heavier than him.

overall it was a good competition, entertaining matches. I think if both teams had their full squads A team USA still could win the dual 5-5 or 6-4. but we have some brilliant youngsters like 18 years old Masoumi who is beating everybody at 125kg.

and Ukraine won the women's title for the first time after beating China

If not totallympics I would not have the chance to even know something like that was contested previous week.

and if not our NOC website, no one in Slovakia would know about it at all :p (which would be a terrible shame)

So thanks to our NOC I learned that the world team was coached by Erik Cáp (SVK NT coach :d) who had 2 of his athletes in the team, and both did pretty well in Coralville, Especially Tajmuraz Salkazanov won all his 3 matches :yes and Batyrbek Tsakulov ended with 1 Win, 1 Tie and 1 defeat

credit to our NOC website https://www.olympic.sk/clanok/vyber-sveta-sp-zapasenie-2022

Tajmuraz is among the 10 Slovak Athlete of The Year nominated athletes, and for the first time will be part of the Gala show, I wonder in which position he will end, Obviously Petra Vlhová with her gold in Beijing is the top fav for the win, Slaf is for sure contender for 2nd place medal in Beijing and historic draft, but from 3rd place everything is open I think, I hope he will end the highest possible, because he deserve some adequate reward for everything he did and is doing for his new country sport

Edited by hckošice

On 12/14/2022 at 1:01 PM, hckošice said:

Tajmuraz is among the 10 Slovak Athlete of The Year nominated athletes, and for the first time will be part of the Gala show, I wonder in which position he will end, Obviously Petra Vlhová with her gold in Beijing is the top fav for the win, Slaf is for sure contender for 2nd place medal in Beijing and historic draft, but from 3rd place everything is open I think, I hope he will end the highest possible, because he deserve some adequate reward for everything he did and is doing for his new country sport

and he ended in 10th place, I would definitely put him higher, but well, it is still the first time he was among the 10 :yes

Anyway, he sounds like a very funny guy. In perfect slovak he made the whole hall smile with his last sentence: "I am super happy to be for the first time among the best 19 slovak athletes, and I will continue to work hard to be once in the nearest future the best among the best 10" and ended with a wide smile, everyone know what he thought by this :d

Edited by hckošice