website statistics

Wrestling 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• 1 month later...

UWW made some minor changes in the rules, I think only wrestling fans will understand some of these changes.

https://uww.org/article/uww-changes-rules-promote-active-wrestling-balance-brackets

but they made a change i was hoping for several years! :clap: from now on we will have the same number of wrestlers in two sides of the draw. (until now the bottom half was often harder with more wrestlers) but from 2022 they will follow a new format something like Boxing and Taekwondo.

also there will be 8 seeded wrestlers in Worlds and Olympics. 4 seeded wrestlers in continental events.

• 2 weeks later...

After a little over one month, Pilidis quit Greek Survivor due to health issues. So in the end it looks like he will compete in 2022 after all, as he was expected to win Survivor which meant he would be on the show until June or July and miss many competitions.

Meanwhile, one of our female rowers has now entered the show...

• 3 weeks later...

it looks that Italy are going to buy a few more 7th tier Russians...:mumble: :facepalm:

in Istanbul, Danila Semerikov (Greco-Roman, 130kg) and Shamil Omarov (men's Freestyle, -61kg) competed under the Italian Flag (even if I think it's only because they wrestle for some Italian clubs, at least for now...not sure they can wrestle at the global champs for us yet)...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ismael Borrero: Cuba's Olympic wrestling champion defects

Wrestling star Ismael Borrero has become the latest Cuban athlete to defect. 

Borrero, who won gold in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, abandoned the Cuban delegation while they were in Mexico for the Pan-American Wrestling Championships, a Cuban official said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-61319922

• 1 month later...

Mijain Lopez recently wrestled in an exhibition match in Germany (Frank Stabler's last fight ceremony) and people there asked him about his future plans. he answered that he is NOT going to wrestle at the Worlds this year and most probably next year but he is looking forward to wrestle in Paris for his 5th Olympic gold :yikes:

he will be 42 in Paris, but he looked better than ever in Tokyo at 39. I think even at 42 he will be the favorite for the gold.

• 3 months later...

Majority of the wrestling team visas were rejected on grounds that they were not sure that our athletes would not overstay ..... Does Spain think that some of our best wrestlers would hide and become illegal immigrants in Spain .... Has any Indian athlete  in the last 20 overstayed ...... Just disgusted ..... I hope Spain will not be allocated any international event again 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi