website statistics

Sport Climbing 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

If anyone happens to see a replay for the men's boulder final at the European climbing championships, it'd be great if you can post it :p 

It was live on a dailymotion stream, but apparently those aren't available on-demand, so.....tough luck.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

29 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

If anyone happens to see a replay for the men's boulder final at the European climbing championships, it'd be great if you can post it :p 

It was live on a dailymotion stream, but apparently those aren't available on-demand, so.....tough luck.

Starts around 8:29:00 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Starts around 8:29:00 

I'll be damned, there are full livestreams available in the US? :yikes: 

It works like a charm with my VPN, so thank you :d I'll check out for more tomorrow!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

What's with this weird scoring system in the bouldering in Munich? :question:

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

What's with this weird scoring system in the bouldering in Munich? :question:

they're trying a new system...it should be more "user friendly", but I don't think they're getting their target...

by the way, it's 3 points for a zone and 25 minus 0.1 for each attempt after the first for the Top...

4 hours ago, phelps said:

they're trying a new system...it should be more "user friendly", but I don't think they're getting their target...

by the way, it's 3 points for a zone and 25 minus 0.1 for each attempt after the first for the Top...

I honestly don't get how it's more user friendly. I mean, imagine you're a random person who - like most people who watch the Olympics or something - has never seen sports climbing in your life.

How is a thing with a seemingly random and relative number of points more friendly than simply the absolute number of tops and zones? :d 

Edit: just asked my dad, who has never in his life seen competitive climbing. The tops + zones system seemed easy to understand for him, the points system confused him already :d 

Watching yesterday's combined (at least I assume the rather cumbersome name 'Boulder & Lead' will be changed to combined :d), and the lead graphics confused me a bit at first. I thought getting anywhere between holds A and B would give 1 point, between C and D 2 points, between E and F 5 points and then 10 points for the top, which would have been a laughably awful scoring system considering one can get 100 points in bouldering. But of course every hold between A and B is worth 1 point, every hold between C and D is worth 2 points and every hold between E and F is worth 5 points, which makes a lot more sense :d 

This combined scoring system this way is at least a billion times better than the terrible thing of multiplying positions, which actually is very hard to follow without constantly calculating all the changing possibilities. With this scoring system, once an athlete did boulder + lead, that's their score and that'll remain their score.