website statistics

Sailing 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

22 hours ago, phelps said:

Women's ILCA 6
Bronze: :GRE Vasileia Karachaliou

She has the Portuguese flag in her Instagram bio, and the Hellenic Olympic Committee unfollowed her on Instagram.

She is living in Ireland now and coaching there to make money to fund her career (at least in Greece she was given some funding even if it may have been inadequate), and she allegedly represented Cote d'Ivoire at a regatta in Portugal recently.

Apparently if she wants to represent Portugal in major international competitions, she has to sit out for three years so she would miss the 2024 Olympics unless ISAF makes an exception for her.

Honestly this situation has been blown way out of proportion. The Hellenic Sailing Federation made plenty of mistakes, but Karachaliou is also stubborn and in some ways unreasonable for not cooperating with the Hellenic Olympic Committee when they were trying to solve these problems. Of course it is easy for me to talk when I do not know what goes on behind the scenes, but still...

The issue is now she burnt her bridges with Greece, and if she comes back and decides to stay with Greece so she can go to Paris 2024, she might be treated worse than before, and also the sponsor that the Hellenic Olympic Committee got for her (which also unfollowed her) probably won't be willing to sponsor her again.

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

She has the Portuguese flag in her Instagram bio, and the Hellenic Olympic Committee unfollowed her on Instagram.

She is living in Ireland now and coaching there to make money to fund her career (at least in Greece she was given some funding even if it may have been inadequate), and she allegedly represented Cote d'Ivoire at a regatta in Portugal recently.

Apparently if she wants to represent Portugal in major international competitions, she has to sit out for three years so she would miss the 2024 Olympics unless ISAF makes an exception for her.

Honestly this situation has been blown way out of proportion. The Hellenic Sailing Federation made plenty of mistakes, but Karachaliou is also stubborn and in some ways unreasonable for not cooperating with the Hellenic Olympic Committee when they were trying to solve these problems. Of course it is easy for me to talk when I do not know what goes on behind the scenes, but still...

The issue is now she burnt her bridges with Greece, and if she comes back and decides to stay with Greece so she can go to Paris 2024, she might be treated worse than before, and also the sponsor that the Hellenic Olympic Committee got for her (which also unfollowed her) probably won't be willing to sponsor her again.

very controversial situation...I hope finally someone can make a step back and allow this thing to be fixed without penalizing the athlete...

however, this time she officially entered the Princesa Sofia representing Greece...

• 4 months later...

2022 Nacra 17 World Championships (:CAN St.Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia)

Gold: :ITA Ruggero Tita & Caterina Banti

Silver: :ITA Gianluigi Ugolini & Maria Giubilei

Bronze: :FIN Sinem Kurtbay & Akseli Keskinen

Pure Domination for Olympic Champions Tita & Banti

https://nacra17.org/events/2022-world-championship/?newsid=16882

2022 49er & 49er FX World Championships (:CAN St.Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia)

men's 49er

Gold: :NED Bart Lambriex & Floris van de Werken

Silver: :ESP Diego Botin & Florian Trittel Paul

Bronze: :CRO Sime Fantela & Mihovil Fantela

Bart Lambriex and Floris van de Werken win 2022 49er World Championship

https://49er.org/event/2022-world-championship/?newsid=33823

women's 49er FX

Gold: :NED Odile van Aanholt & Annette Duetz

Silver: :SWE Vilma Bobek & Rebecca Netzler

Bronze: :ESP Tamara Echegoyen & Paula Barcelò

Odile van Aanholt and Annette Duetz (NED) win 49erFX World Championship

https://49er.org/event/2022-world-championship/?newsid=33833

• 2 weeks later...

2022 Mixed 470 European Championships (:TUR Cesme)

Sweden secure Gold after Match Race with Spain

Gold: :SWE Anton Dahlberg & Lovisa Karlsson

Silver: :ESP Jordi Xammar Hernandez & Nora Brugman Cabot

Bronze: :ITA Giacomo Ferrari & Bianca Caruso

Full Ranking:

https://2022europeans.470.org/en/default/races/race-resultsall

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 3:30 PM, phelps said:

very controversial situation...I hope finally someone can make a step back and allow this thing to be fixed without penalizing the athlete...

however, this time she officially entered the Princesa Sofia representing Greece...

Well she will be representing Portugal at the upcoming World Championships, and at all regattas afterwards. So Portugal gets the number 3 ranked sailor in the world in this class just because she wanted to find a new country. I wonder what incentives they are offering her, because everyone knows she is Greek and has no connection with Portugal...

I would say I wish her the best but that would be a lie, the truth is I couldn't care less about her career anymore. Sorry if that sounds mean but at least I am an honest person...I won't wish her good luck because it would be fake.

Hopefully our problematic federations (sailing, rowing, wrestling) get their acts together so we don't lose any more athletes (we have 2 rowers and 1 wrestler who all were at Tokyo 2020 and currently have publicized issues with the federations but for now the athletes say they still want to represent Greece and seem hopeful that they will build better relations with their federations). And the rowers are always thanking the Hellenic Olympic Committee for their help so I'd be shocked if they switched nationalities.

Edited by Makedonas

2022 Formula Kite World Championships (:ITA Cagliari)

First world title for Vodisek, No.6 for Moroz

men's Kite

Gold: :SLO Toni Vodisek

Silver: :SGP Maximilian Maeder

Bronze: :FRA Axel Mazella

women's Kite

Gold: :USA Daniela Moroz

Silver: :FRA Lauriane Nolot

Bronze: :GBR Eleanor Aldridge

Full Results (M+W):

https://www.formulakite.org/

On 10/16/2022 at 10:01 PM, Agger said:

Anne-Marie Rindom is back! :bowdown:

2022 Women's ILCA6 World Championship (:USA Kemah, Texas, USA)

Gold: :DEN Anne-Marie Rindom

Silver: :SUI Maud Jayet

Bronze: :BEL Emma Plasschaert

Full Results:

https://2022ilca6.ilca-worlds.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2022/10/Results-Women.html