website statistics

Rowing 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

naaaa...they're a lot less worse than those I mentioned above...

Agree to disagree, I suppose :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

33 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Agree to disagree, I suppose :d 

I'd say Coe is the best leader World Athletics has had in over 40 years.

That may sound like I'm praising him, but to be honest,  if you had put a potato on the end of a stick, smeared it with dog muck and set fire to it, you'd have a more appealing president that Nebiolo or Diack who preceded him.

13 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

For me, the boat sports are biggest challenge facing LA28. Obviously, there are strong concerns about water use in the state at the moment. There’s a possibility things improve in the future, but there’s also a possibility they get worse. It’s a tough environment to navigate.

The lake they used for rowing in 1984 no longer suitable, correct?

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

The lake they used for rowing in 1984 no longer suitable, correct?

As I understand it, there are serious concerns about the water levels at Lake Casitas. Casitas is also relatively removed from all the other venues. Likewise, with Lake Perris. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

We finished with 3 gold and 1 silver :yes

GOLD for Bourmpou/Fragkou in W2- which was obviously expected as they dominated the World U23 Championships this year with a world record.

GOLD for Gkaidatzis in LM1X. He hadn't competed with the national team since 2019, so it was nice to see him come back and win another medal. Hopefully he can reunite with his old partner Papakonstantinou and try to qualify for Paris together in LM2X (Papakonstantinou won gold this year at the European Championships in LM1X and gold at last year's World U23 Championships in LM1X).

GOLD for Kontou/Natsioula in W2X. They are really impressive, Kontou is 16yo and Natsioula is 17yo, so for them to both win a U23 gold medal in such a challenging boat class is really special. Natsioula has won 4 gold medals in her last 4 regattas, all in W2X (2022 European U23, 2022 World U19, 2022 European U19, 2021 European U19). And for Kontou this is her first medal as she did not compete at the U19 level this year, and instead was focusing on U23 Worlds (in W1X) and the World Cup. I think it will be the first of many gold medals for her...

SILVER for Anastasiadou in LW1X. Really shocking and disappointing. Did not expect this at all, she has been winning gold at the European U23s since she was 18, and this year won gold at the World U23s with a world record and silver in W1X as a lightweight (!!!) at the European Championships. Not sure what happened but at least she won another medal.

4th places for Angou/Varelopoulou (LW2X) and the Boukouvalas brothers (M2-). Both missed the podium by less than one second. As I've said, we are really Canada 2.0 here...also not sure why we sent Angou who is only 17 yo and has never won a medal at anything before, I think we had better options for Varelopoulou to have a partner to reach the podium.

5th out of 5 boats for our W2-. They are all U19s so it's not a big deal, and two of them (Argyraki and Asvesta) won gold in W2- this year at both the World and European U19s. The Papaioannou sisters were clearly too inexperienced to do better at this level.

6th for our M2X. Not much to say. We had Iasonas Exarchou last year win silver in this event as a U19, not sure why he wasn't selected again this year.

11th for Papazoglou in M1X. He is only 17 yo so I didn't expect much, he won medals at both the World and European U19s this year and probably will do the same next year.

Also I wanted to say it was a great year for Greek women's rowing so far, 10 gold medals and 3 silver medals :yes

And this is without the Kyridou sisters and Tsamopoulou who have issues with the national federation and aren't competing these days, and also without Nikolaidou who was our best female rower over the last decade who recently retired.

If we play our cards right (which we never do), I think we can qualify in 4 or 5 of the 7 women's boat classes for Paris 2024 (which would also include the Kyridou sisters and Tsamopoulou coming back to the national team, which as of now they plan to do). Before Tokyo we never qualified more than one women's boat to any Olympics, then we had two in Tokyo. Great to see these young girls do so well, hopefully in Paris we can qualify a lot of boats and then in Los Angeles win a lot of medals (as most will probably be too young in Paris).

• 2 weeks later...

The new mayor of the Italian town of Sabaudia is refusing to honour the contract his predecessor signed to host the 2024 European Championships.

World Rowing are expected to have to move the championship but are also considering suing the town council for breach of the contract.

• 3 months later...

New U19 world record in indoor rowing from Greece's Dimitra-Eleni Kontou. She recorded a time of 7:04.09 last weekend at the National Championships in Thessaloniki, which is a world record in the lightweight category. She is 17 yo so she has a chance to improve this again next year.

Greece's also has the U19 world indoor record from Sofia Asoumanaki from 2015 in the open category.

So we have both U19 women's world records - open and lightweight :thumbup: