website statistics

Equestrian 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

3 hours ago, dcro said:

New NR for :LTU Lithuania, as Justina Vanagaite & Nabab post 69.370% to place 4th in Poland...

Previous record was held by Sandra Sysojeva (68.217%), who was also there in Zakrzow, as was yet another Lithuanian Dalia Katinaite-Pranckeviciene, who was making her international debut.

http://cdizakrzow.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/14_CDI3__GP__Wyniki.pdf

Thank you dcro. There's no coverage of equestrian in Lithuanian media and its really amazing to see the progress of this sport in the country.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty exciting Grand Prix class in Hagen today, with Isabell Werth debuting a new horse destined for stardom.

Also several riders from emerging nations posted their first qualifying scores for the Worlds... :cheer:

:KOR Hwang - 70.870% (!!)

:PLE Al Shaer - 67.848%

:MEX Burssens - 67.761%

:CYP Kiefer - 66.522%

:IND Vora - 66.239%

https://results.equestrian-hub.com/show/972/dressage/48036

#banbestmen

Edward Gal has decided to take a sabbatical. He will not be competing at all this year.

This leaves team Netherlands in a pretty vulnerable position. They could feasibly lose their Olympic qualification to someone like Finland. Would not be too surprising.

#banbestmen

• 5 weeks later...

De Sjiem, Jeroen Dubbeldam's 2000 Olympic gold medal winning horse, has passed away at the very, very respectable age of 33 years.

1920x1440a.jpg

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

:SWE Sweden won the Dressage Nations Cup stage in Compiegne, ahead of :ESP Spain and :BEL Belgium.

Very valuable podium finishes for the latter two, however it should be noted that 3/9 (!!) teams got eliminated, once again raising all sorts of questions about the validity of the three-member teams.

https://results.worldsporttiming.com/event/92/championship/60/result

#banbestmen

Greetings from Pferd International in Munich! Very tired from the night drive, but I finally get to fulfill my dream of attending a big German horse show in person. :d

Will be sharing more pictures next week hopefully.

20220526_081723.jpg

#banbestmen

• 2 weeks later...

So finally let's share some thoughts on my Munich experience.

First of all, horse shows in Germany are huge. Pferd International in Munich specifically is much bigger than it ever looked on stream. There were so many stands with both merchandise and food, and the showground was quite large in itself. The crowds were huge every day, but especially on Thursday during the Bavarian holiday. There are horses all over the place, and there are no paved pathways (everything is covered in mud or grass, which turned out to be a bit of an issue on the rainy Sunday).

Pferd International hosts dressage, jumping, vaulting, para-dressage, show program and working equitation. As I also had some other plans in Munich, I mostly ended up following the dressage like I planned. After all, it is traditionally the highest quality event in Munich (5* competition, as compared to jumping which is only 2*). I caught a bit of jumping, show program and working equitation as well. Vaulting and para-dressage were held indoors on the other side of the showgrounds and I didn't have the time for even a sneak peek.

Some thoughts on the dressage competitions:

• Isabell Werth is a super star in Germany. You could really see people arriving to the dressage arena just before her test and leaving soon thereafter. :d She appreciated the crowd. Also on Sunday a literal thunderstorm started during her test but she just laughed it off (as did the crowd).
  • Dorothee Schneider is amazing. She was competing in more-or-less every class with a whole myriad of horses, and yet she was very appreciative of the crowd after each round. What a lovely lady. :hatoff:
  • Tinne Vilhelson-Silfven arguably earns the title for the most elegant rider. Stunning.
  • Prize giving ceremonies are much more fun in person than on the streams. I guess the same probably goes for the medal ceremonies. The crowds really get into it.
  • And finally, as spectators are allowed to freely move more or less anywhere (except the stables of course), I really had an opportunity to bypass all these familiar faces at close quarters. It was really interesting to pass directly by the likes :IND dressage rider Anush Agarwalla (who was all smiles despite having a really frustrating week in Munich) and the well-known :DEN judge Hans-Christian Matthiesen, for example. :d You could even get as close to the warmup ring as you'd like, and then get even closer to the athletes whilst they are walking from the warmup ring to the competition arena.

Here are some photos:

Canada's Ryan Torkkeli and Sternenwanderer on their way to the World Championships selection

SNr3fgI.jpg

Isabell Werth and Emilio as seen from a mound near the arena

GkLZMDR.jpg

Spoiler

Tinne Vilhelmson-Silfven & Devanto

B521rya.jpg

Local shooting star Raphel Netz & In2ition

oMuZFT7.jpg

Victoria Max-Therer & Topas were the surprise winners of the 3* Grand Prix Special

bYzbmcg.jpg

Ryan Torkkeli once again and the impressive Sternenwanderer

64RzhPb.jpg

#banbestmen

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a D-day for Croatian equestrian coming up tomorrow. Karen Pavicic has made the trip from her base in Canada to Austria and will be chasing the second out of two required scores for the World Championships.

Needless to say that a qualification alone would be huge for us. Crossing my fingers and toes and everything! :fingers:

#banbestmen