website statistics

Basketball 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Our U18 women's team might make history at the European Championships (Division A). We won our group and then lost in the round of 16 and in the 9-16 classification game, so now we have to play the 13-16 classification games. If we end up being one of the three teams relegated (very likely at this point), I wonder if we will be the first team to ever get relegated at a European Championships after winning the group.

Surely it has to be a first, especially as the format changed a few years ago and prior to that this was not possible.

What an incredible achievement for our girls :facepalm:

Also our u16 men's team seems impressive, they beat Spain 75-47 yesterday. I don't know much about this age group but Spain is always good so to win and by such a large margin is very good.

We are currently playing in Skopje against the hosts. They were whistling and screaming against our u16 players, kind of ridiculous as they are young kids but I am not at all surprised. There was a similar situation at a women's handball match there a few years ago where our girls (I think u17 or u15) were being yelled at with racial slurs.

FIBA also put the country name in the title as "Macedonia" without "North," although they fixed it now (only after a lot of backlash).

People from both countries were acting very crazy in the live chat so FIBA had to disable the chat for all. Sad to see.

Anyways, we are leading with 25-8 right now so I don't think we care as long as we maintain our lead :d

^We won by 30 points. The crowd kept chanting "Turkiye-Turkiye" but we had the last laugh in the end :p

Sadly our best guard, Eleftherios Liotopoulos, got injured and will be out for the rest of the tournament.

Our girls lost to Israel, so they got relegated. I also wonder if a team has ever won 3 games and still gotten relegated? We must be breaking all kinds of records with this team :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Of course being Canada 2.0, we got 4th place :cry:

And Spain ended with silver, meanwhile we beat them by 28 in the group stage :lol:

Lithuania won gold @Werloc

I'm not too fond of basketball lately, but seems we've been winning a lot of stuff recently.

Women's u18 European just a week ago, medals in EYOF, a lot of important victories in 3x3.

Perhaps Lithuanian basketball is regaining some quality.