website statistics

Athletics 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Some interesting results at the Filothei Women Gala in Athens last night:

W 100m:

18 yo :GRE Polyniki Emmanouilidou with a new PB of 11.44. She is very close to breaking Thanou's U20 NR of 11.43, and with many races left in the season, I think she'll do it. She already had 11.51 from last month and keeps improving, her best result from 2021 was 11.55, 11.71 from 2020, 11.94 from 2019, so she keeps improving every year. Also I really like our chances to qualify for Paris in the women's 4x100 with Emmanouilidou, Spanoudaki, and Anastasiou (plus we need to find one more to complete the team).

W High Jump:

:MNE Marija Vukovic won with 1.95. The world junior champion from 2010 is finally living up to her potential these last couple seasons. She's been living in Greece for a few years and working with a Greek coach (Ioanna Siomou) and her results have been so good compared to how mediocre she was for many years. Great to see her consistently clearing 1.95/1.96 these days, we love her in Greece like she's one of our own.

16 yo :SRB Angelina Topic (Dragutin's daughter) with a new PB of 1.95! Her previous outdoor PB was 1.88 from last year. She clearly likes Greece because her indoor PB is 1.91 this winter in Athens as well. 

23 yo :GRE Eleftheria Christogeorgou with a big PB of 1.93. Her previous outdoor PB was 1.81 from last year, although she had 1.87 this year indoors. She out of nowhere has seen big improvements the last couple years as she started working with Pomaski (coach of Tentoglou and Papachristou). Before 2021, her PB of 1.75 stood from 2015! Her brother is a goalkeeper for the Greek U21 football national team.

22 yo :GRE Despina Maltabe with a PB of 1.87. She won bronze at the European U18s in Tbilisi in 2016 and did nothing since, but good to see her finally making improvements and getting new PBs after 1.83 last year and 1.84 last month.

W Pole Vault:

:GRE Katerina Stefanidi won with 4.64. Far from her best but good for this year considering her SB is 4.65 and WL is only 4.73...

17 yo :GRE Alina-Amalia Florou-Dimitriadou with a new PB of 4.09 (she had 4.05 from April). Another one who is improving year after year. Her PB was 3.90 in 2021, 3.50 in 2020, 3.40i in 2019, 3.05 in 2018.

Two YouTubed events tomorrow night.  Both with English Comms and no geoblocking. 

First, the CT Gold Irene Szewinska Memorial from Bydgoszcz .  

(2137) World Athletics - YouTube

And then, starting 45 minutes later, the CT Silver Meet from Manchester.

Does sb have more information about this one?

https://www.european-athletics.com/news/european-athletics-team-championships-format-changes-for-2023

I can not imagine how it will work. Will be there same rules? 16 points for winner of each competition and 1 point for 16th team? So i will pay more attention in order not to be DSQ :-)

And what about technics? Still 3 attemps + 4th for best 4 teams? 4 errrors in HJ and PV? Thanks

Edited by stepansevs
English