website statistics

Athletics 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Big results at the Rotterdam Marathon today: TWO national records!

:NED Abdi Nageeye, 1st place in 2:04:56

:NED Nienke Brinkman, 2nd place in 2:22:51 in her 2nd professional marathon

Brinkman is a special story. She was a field hockey player just below the national professional level, so she choose to go for a career outside of sports. As a researcher in Switzerland she started running mountainous trail runs. She ran so fast that she decided to train for a marathon, and just debuted straight into the international elite at 28 years old. And now she holds the national record!

:USA Valarie Allman 71,46m in San Diego. That's better than Perkovic's PB by 5 cm and the longest throw in women's discus since 1992 (when you consider that was from a Chinese during the tortoise soup heyday the longest before that was Wyludda throwing 72-74 meters in 1989 :rolleyes: ).

Elaine Thompson-Herah marked her season’s outdoor debut by setting the fastest 100 metres time of the year, 10.89sec, at a USA Track & Field Golden Games in Walnut, California that delivered on its promise of being a sprinting spectacular.

London 2012 bronze medalist in rowing Christina Giazitzidou won the Greek National Championships today in Mountain Road Race (sorry I don't know the proper term in English but it's 20.5km). She retired from rowing at age 22 but now I guess she is a runner.

2 great results for brazilian athletes this weekend:

Alison dos Santos ran the 400m (no hudles this time) and had a great run. With his time he would be 6th in Tokyo. He stills just 21 and has already a bronze at the Olympics.

Daniel ran the Seoul marathon and made the best time ever of a non african in the history of the marathons.

:wBRA:

Tuning in for the Boston marathon for the first time.

I already knew the times do not count here due to the course, but boy, I never realized this means Boston has no pacemakers. That's just awesome. :d

#banbestmen

• 2 weeks later...

Mykolas Alekna continues to surprise as he beats his PB by nearly another meter.

His new PB is now 67.68m and it was the Lithuanian U23 record, NCAA record, World's all time best throw by a 19yo

Four throws were over 67 metres, it's the second best throw in the world this season, and it's the 5th best U23 of all time, with Mykolas only being 19.

Alekna.jpg

You can read more here: https://www.european-athletics.com/news/mykolas-alekna-throws-world-age-19-discus-best-of-67-68m