website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

3 minutes ago, Dnl said:

Hey what about addition to already existing sports like Compound to archery or 5x5 to football and thing like that? 

Later process. These disciplines are already covered by established olympic federations. This is about new federations trying to enter the 2028 program.

4 hours ago, Dnl said:

Hey what about addition to already existing sports like Compound to archery or 5x5 to football and thing like that? 

not the question raised by today's news...

it was only about new sports making their request to be added to the program...

possible additions/changes in the already existing sports will be discussed later...

6 hours ago, canadafan2024 said:

Hoping that the baseball in LA will be "best-on-best", let's see if MLB cooperates and releases players for the tournament. There may never be a better opportunity

Yeah I hope it will be more like WBC then the not 100% Olympic baseball…

I would throw Rugby Sevens out in favor of Cricket T20 if the best cricket players would come to the Olympics. I mean, Rugby at the Games seems like a cheap imitation of the "real thing". We obviously can't have normal Rugby at the Games due to the nature of the sport, so maybe it shouldn't be on the program at all. Is it popular / brings in the viewership? I don't think so. The novelty of seeing rugby played at the Games maybe lasted for one SOG.

Maybe I am wrong but Cricket T20 seems more successful at being the shorter version of a Cricket than Rugby Sevens is at doing the same thing with Rugby. Which means that far more people would tune in to watch Cricket T20 at the Games than Rugby Sevens. 

Having both on the program permanently would kinda overkill as both are "British colonial team sports". Have both Cricket T20 and Rugby Sevens in Brisbane and decide based on the viewership / level of competition which of two should stay.  

Also, IOC should consider that their decision to throw out weightlifting and pentathlon can kill both sports. Boxing will be fine because, you know, it's boxing, the #1 combat sport in the world. But weightlifting and especially pentathlon needs the Games. The moment modern pentathlon is officially out for good, the sport will literally disappear and that will be the end of a discipline which was part of the Games since 1896. Legacy should matter. Weightlifting will probably survive in some capacity even if they aren't on the program but the sport will never be the same.