website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

12 hours ago, Dragon said:

Cricket, breaking, baseball/softball, flag football, lacrosse, karate, kickboxing, squash and motorsport federations invited to submit applications inclusion at 2028 Games

according to our sports website OA (which normally knows many things common people ignore about the sport politics), Cricket is almost there, Baseball/Softball is surely going to be included in the 2028 program (but it might be another one-hit wonder, just because it's LA), Karate has chances if Boxing is confirmed out, Breaking has less chances than expected (IOC still wants to see how it goes in Paris) and there's no room for the other disciplines (even if there's a strong interest by FIA to push for the motorsports, but at the moment they aren't even among the sports that can make the Olympic program)...

my personal taste, instead, is Cricket T20 in, Baseball / Softball in, Karate in with all the 5 kumite weight classes (and with 32 athletes per class, if Boxing is really out, otherwise 16 per class at least, in any case), Squash in...only if Tennis, Badminton and Table Tennis are cut to the Single events only (no more doubles and team events)...

anything else...vade retro, Satan!

11 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tristanlavalette/2022/04/29/as-plans-gain-steam-for-a-major-ground-in-orange-county-cricket-eyes-los-angeles-olympic-bid/?sh=4dbc1b1f2dea

There is a project to build a cricket stadium in the region, so I guess there is that.

Still a weird list : Some of the usual suspects are missing (Wakeboarding, snooker...); I thought motor sports were banned from the olympics :question:; Lacrosse a sport basically played in two countries; flag football still in very early stages.

Besides any new sport will have to fit into the 10,500 athletes quotas which makes virtualy impossible for a new team sport to enter. Weird.

2 hours ago, Dolby said:

BTW don't see Cricket making it to games. Negligible following in key areas, not much interest from Cricket federations, expensive infrastructure (That is why Cricket has better chance in 2032), no depth and need for 15x8x2 = 240 athletes at the minimum. 

The positives: Huge and concentrated following in some areas (Indian subcontinent, Caribbean), Quite different to other team sports. 

remember...right now, boxing and weightlifting are out of the 2028 Games...if it's confirmed, it might make room for those sports that need quite some quota places...

50 minutes ago, phelps said:

remember...right now, boxing and weightlifting are out of the 2028 Games...if it's confirmed, it might make room for those sports that need quite some quota places...

That's a good point, bur with climbing, skateboarding and surfing in (and likely,  baseball/softball) it doesn't make for many quotas to spare (an hundred or so)

EDIT:

With Boxing, MP and Weightlifting out, we are saving 444 quotas from Paris program, plus the 32 from breaking not guaranteed to be at LA. Assuming we will have Baseball/Softball with the same format as in Tokyo, it left us with 242 quotas for any other additional sports and/or any of the three sports left out to make a come back. That's really not a lot... 

EDIT2:

With these numbers, it hard to see how boxing could feature in LA.

24 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

That's a good point, bur with climbing, skateboarding and surfing in (and likely,  baseball/softball) it doesn't make for many quotas to spare (an hundred or so)

EDIT:

With Boxing, MP and Weightlifting out, we are saving 444 quotas from Paris program. Assuming we will have Baseball/Softball with the same format as in Tokyo, it left us with 210 quotas for any other additional sports and/or any of the three sports left out to make a come back. That's really not a lot... 

I believe that LA will increase the number of quotas, coming back to 11k at least

11 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

It is just a bet from my part. I undestand that IOC has tried to reduce the costs and, consequently, the number of quotas.

But, I see LA capable to increase these numbers without big issues. Especially because they have two very popular sports (Baseball and American Football), with billionaire leagues that could see that as an oportunity to be part of the Olympics.

Also, Breaking, Modern Pentathlon, Boxing and Weightlifting on the edge to be cutted off from Olympics, could help on that decision and even open the doors for other sports, like Cricket.

4 hours ago, Dolby said:

Croquet with a Q is played by Queen of Hearts.

Cricket with an I is the most popular game in India. 

Yeah, I remember you once already explained me that, but I forgot again. I am really dumb sometimes haha. I do not know why croquet always come to my mind when someone mention cricket. :lol:

Anyway, from what I looked it may be fun to watch (I mean Cricket :p) but I will definiely need to understand the basic rules, because so far it is only a sort of organized chaos to me

1 hour ago, Laraja said:

I believe that LA will increase the number of quotas, coming back to 11k at least

Not if Mr Olympic Champ 1976 has his way. There is a hard cap of 10,500 and I don't see that changing as long as TB is in charge. 

Baseball/Softball def seems like the favourite given the games are in LA. Squash is overdue for a chance, so I would be pretty happy if they got in.

Otherwise in terms of personal preference I would love to see Lacrosse in the Olympics but I am :CAN:USA so I have an extreme bias there, and objectively the case for Lacrosse is pretty weak. Cricket has a pretty strong case for inclusion if the ICC finally takes it seriously. Karate is sort of the reverse of Lacrosse here for me - it’s a sport I have zero interest in but that probably deserves to be in the Olympics.

Motorsports being here is baffling.

51 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Yeah, I remember you once already explained me that, but I forgot again. I am really dumb sometimes haha. I do not know why croquet always come to my mind when someone mention cricket. :lol:

Anyway, from what I looked it may be fun to watch (I mean Cricket :p) but I will definiely need to understand the basic rules, because so far it is only a sort of organized chaos to me

basic rules are as simple as baseball's...

there are 2 teams playing, one is defending (those with the full set of players placed around the pitch and pitching the ball) meanwhile the other is attacking (those with the bat in their hands and, in baseball, a few players running the bases)...

the aim of the game is scoring runs by throwing the ball out of the boundaries (in baseball it's 1 point for the batter + 1 for each baserunner -if there are any- up to 4 points in one action, called grand slam...more runs are scored by completing the trip around the 4 bases; in cricket it's 6 runs for a ball hit directly out and 4 for a ball rebounding on the pitch and then going out, more runs can be recorded by hitting the ball within the playing field and running up and down the stripe where they pitch and bat...it's 1 run for every side completed without being eliminated)...

in baseball there are 9 rounds (innings) for each team to attack and defend, an (half) inning is over when 3 players are eliminated...the team scoring the most total runs wins the match...

in cricket there are 2 innings (1 defending and 1 attacking for each team)...

an inning is done when 10 batsmen are eliminated or when the number of sets (overs) has been completed (the number may vary according to the format of the Game, it might be 10, 20, 50 or undetermined if a 3-day test match is played)...

knowing this, you should be able to understand what happens on the field in both sports (anything else is surely useful, but not absolutely necessary to enjoy the sports)...