website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

22 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Cricket, breaking, baseball/softball, flag football, lacrosse, karate, kickboxing, squash and motorsport federations invited to submit applications inclusion at 2028 Games

Where did you see it? thanks!

36 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Cricket, breaking, baseball/softball, flag football, lacrosse, karate, kickboxing, squash and motorsport federations invited to submit applications inclusion at 2028 Games

If I was to rank those in terms of my preference for inclusion, here's how it would look:

1. Baseball / Softball - as someone who never really cared much about these sports at the Games, I really enjoyed watching them in the days leading up to the Tokyo Opening Ceremony and made sure to catch up with highlights in the remaining days when other sports took over. Would love to see it back even if there are not enough teams in the competition.

2. Squash - I've always liked squash and would love to see it get its chance at the Olympics. I don't think it will be particularly popular but I still think it deserves to be there.

3. Lacrosse - I don't know much about this sport but have watched a couple of games and I liked it more than some of the current team sports at the Games, so why not :d

4. Cricket - I'm not a huge fan of cricket to be honest but it would be cool to see this at the Olympics. However, no rained off matches please... that drives me nuts when matches are just declared as draws even when no action has taken place :p . Don't think this would be a problem in LA though :d

5. Kickboxing - I'm not really bothered about having another combat sport but since Ireland compete in this sport, for my own personal reasons I am putting it at number 5 :d

6. Breaking - I reserve the right to revisit this opinion after I have watched some breaking as I honestly don't have any clue about what this looks like as a sport. I don't imagine it will appeal much to me, but I would hold my judgement at least until I have seen it a couple of times.

7. Flag football - I have no idea what this is so it ends up in this position until I have reason to change my mind :d

8. Karate - I didn't enjoy this much at the last Olympics and I'm not the biggest fan of combat sports anyway so this doesn't appeal to me... just a personal preference.

9. Motorsport - no thank you.

These are just my thoughts, not trying to advocate for anything so don't come at me for my opinions :p

41 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Please not motorsport for the love of mother earth. Let's not give 'Who can burn fossil fuels around a lap the fastest' competitions any more attention than they need. There's far far far far too much money spent on formula 1 cars and flying them all over the world already.

Squash, kickboxing, karate: already a few similar sports in the program.  

Lacrosse, Football: not competitive (I believe). Canada & USA too dominant.  

Motorsport: has no place at the olympics (does everyone get the same vehicle?). 

Break: TBD after 2024.

Baseball-Softball & Cricket are welcome, but don't think there's space for both. Baseball will get in 100%. Cricket turn maybe for 2032..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tristanlavalette/2022/04/29/as-plans-gain-steam-for-a-major-ground-in-orange-county-cricket-eyes-los-angeles-olympic-bid/?sh=4dbc1b1f2dea

There is a project to build a cricket stadium in the region, so I guess there is that.

Still a weird list : Some of the usual suspects are missing (Wakeboarding, snooker...); I thought motor sports were banned from the olympics :question:; Lacrosse a sport basically played in two countries; flag football still in very early stages.

Besides any new sport will have to fit into the 10,500 athletes quotas which makes virtualy impossible for a new team sport to enter. Weird.

It´s already the second time I mixed the two different sports until I googled it and found out the thing I thought is called Croquet and Cricket is completely different :rolleyes:

+

Kickboxing, Karate, Squash, Lacrosse and Flag Football would be my personal choices

=

I am also kinda ok, with Baseball & Softball, all in all they both will certainly make it to LA, but hopefully they will find a easier tournament format for Baseball, not the one which requires a degree in nuclear physics to understand like it was in Tokyo.

-

Not interested in the other three

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

It´s already the second time I mixed the two different sports until I googled it and found out the thing I thought is called Croquet and Cricket is completely different :rolleyes:

Croquet with a Q is played by Queen of Hearts.

Cricket with an I is the most popular game in India. 

BTW don't see Cricket making it to games. Negligible following in key areas, not much interest from Cricket federations, expensive infrastructure (That is why Cricket has better chance in 2032), no depth and need for 15x8x2 = 240 athletes at the minimum. 

The positives: Huge and concentrated following in some areas (Indian subcontinent, Caribbean), Quite different to other team sports.