website statistics

Olympic Medal Winners' Watch Parties/Celebration Videos

Makedonas

I thought it would be cool to make a topic where people could post videos of Olympians' friends and families reacting to their medal wins.

I'll start it with Greece's Anna Korakaki winning gold at the 2016 Olympics in shooting. This is at her house in Drama, Greece. In the video, her mother is the blonde lady standing on the chair and her brother is also there (the guy who kept screaming) as well as other friends/family members (her father is her coach who was with her in Rio).

Igoumenitsa, Greece - 2012

People in Alexandra Tsiavou's hometown react to and celebrate her rowing bronze medal at the London Olympics. She was in silver medal position and then at the end fell to bronze which is why some people were disappointed at one point in the video right before the end.

Grevena, Greece, 2021 (from 5:24)

In Miltiadis Tentoglou's hometown, they set up a large screen at the park and many residents went to watch him win gold in the men's long jump in Tokyo. The final took place in the middle of the night in Greece, and you can see the sunrise towards the end of the video.

The first lady who speaks (Ioanna Papadimitriou) is Tentoglou's mother. The next girl at 6:17 is Tentoglou's sister, Katerina. They also showed some friends and his first coach. At 7:24, you can see they painted "8.41" in gold letters on the sidewalk which is how far his jump was, and painted 8.41m of gold letters.

Then in this video, you can see the crowd react to his first attempt at 3:33, and his final attempt (which moved him into gold medal position from outside the podium) at 3:49.

Also in this video we see more of his mother, as well as his aunt:

I suppose I could some random watch party from the past but I'll just go with this one cuz it was the most popular here:

Volleyball at Tokyo, legend and Seoul medalist Hugo Conte is part of the tv broadcast team and watches Argentina win a medal after 33 years (his son is part of the current team)...

Kastoria, Greece, 2012

(As you can see the Greek videos I found are of athletes from smaller cities/towns where these medals were more important to the people from those places. For example, Petrounias and Stefanidi are both from Athens so you never see people in those places going crazy for their medals because it's not such a big deal in a big city)

Friends and family of Christina Giazitzidou (rowing) watch her win a bronze medal for Greece. Her crew were favourites to win gold so it was kind of bittersweet for them. They were very happy to win an Olympic medal but disappointed about the colour, especially since they led for a large part of the race and then fell to silver and eventually fell to bronze in the last few strokes.

Her mother is the blonde lady in the blue shirt, you can see how nervous she is throughout the race, and her father is the bald guy who kisses her at the end. The other lady in the blue shirt is one of her sisters and I think some of the old people near them are grandparents probably. Also the blonde lady in the white shirt (next to the lady in pink) I think is also Christina's sister but I am not certain.

Then afterwards the party began: