website statistics

Men's Handball IHF World Championship 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

The draw indicates that these will be the teams fighting for the QF spots:

Path A/B - :FRA  :ESP  (RIP :SLO and :POL)

Path C/D - :SWE  :HUN  :POR  :ISL 

Path E/F - :GER  :NOR  :QAT 

Path G/H - :DEN  :CRO  :EGY 

C/D seems like the hardest to call, maybe even :BRA can surprise if the Europeans will be weak. 

:POL in Group B with :FRA :SLO and :KSA

Funny we play Saudi Arabia in both football & handball World Champs six weeks apart. We could have had the African champions (likely :EGY ) from Pot 1 but thanks to crazy rules two of the five African teams will be in one group (with :CRO ). 

• 4 months later...

I just realized something: IHF fucked up massively by not having 9-12th place playoff. The 9th placed team will almost certainly qualify for the OQT, possibly even the 10th or 11th placed teams. Those places should be decided via playoffs. Instead now it will kinda come down to luck between the the four third placed teams in the four main round groups. That's not how OQT spots should be decided. 

9 hours ago, Vektor said:

I just realized something: IHF fucked up massively by not having 9-12th place playoff. The 9th placed team will almost certainly qualify for the OQT, possibly even the 10th or 11th placed teams. Those places should be decided via playoffs. Instead now it will kinda come down to luck between the the four third placed teams in the four main round groups. That's not how OQT spots should be decided. 

I agree. It's really bad.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...