• 9 gymnasts (6 group + 3 individual): :ESP:ITA:JPN:UKR:USA
  • 8 gymnasts (5 group + 3 individual): :AZE
  • 8 gymnasts (6 group + 2 individual): :BRA:HUN:KAZ:RUS 
  • 7 gymnasts (6 groups + 1 individual): :FIN:FRA:GBR:IND 
  • 7 gymnasts (5 groups + 2 individual): :BLR:BUL:CHN 
  • 6 gymnasts (5 group + 1 individual): :EST:GER
  • 3 individual gymnasts: :MEX
  • 2 individual gymnasts: :GEO:KOR:ROU:UZB
  • 1 individual gymnast: :ANG:ARM:AUS:AUT:BOL:CAN:CHI:COL:CRO:CYP:CZE:GRE:GUA:KGZ:LAT:LTU:NOR:POL:POR:RSA:SLO:SMR:TUR 

By continent:

• Europe = 116 gymnasts from 29 countries = 64.4 %
  • Asia = 36 gymnasts from 7 countries = 20%
  • Pan America = 25 gymnasts from 8 countries = 13.9%
  • Africa = 2 gymnasts from 2 countries = 1.1 %
  • Oceania = 1 gymnasts from 1 country = 0.6 %

• 2 weeks later...

I hate the format of this event, with finals happening minutes after qualifications. Ugh.

The AA final with 18 gymnasts does nothing for this sport. Nothing. We still have groups A and B, so gymnasts from smaller programs -- or unlucky gymnasts in qualifications like Raffaelli -- will only hope to be the "best of the rest" while the other gymnasts in the top group are the ones who will fight for medals.

I'm pleased with Brazil qualifying for the first time ever for the final, but I'm not exactly thrilled. The changes have been for the worse.

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I hate the format of this event, with finals happening minutes after qualifications. Ugh.

The AA final with 18 gymnasts does nothing for this sport. Nothing. We still have groups A and B, so gymnasts from smaller programs -- or unlucky gymnasts in qualifications like Raffaelli -- will only hope to be the "best of the rest" while the other gymnasts in the top group are the ones who will fight for medals.

I'm pleased with Brazil qualifying for the first time ever for the final, but I'm not exactly thrilled. The changes have been for the worse.

Not to forget how incredibly unfair the format with A and B groups is. Except for the rank order bias playing against them, the athletes from group B are also not expected to win medals, so it becomes easier than ever for the judges to put them in a certain ladder, as it happens with judged sports.

Ladders are not a problem by default. Athletes should be grouped according to their level. The main problem is when athletes get stuck in a ladder even though their level has improved (or worsened).

#banbestmen

Our Golden Group will sadly not participate here, after one of the girls had a severe injury days before the start. Pretty disappointing, as this was going to be their final competition before retirement and they really wanted to get the Worlds title as well.  

3 hours ago, dcro said:

Not to forget how incredibly unfair the format with A and B groups is. Except for the rank order bias playing against them, the athletes from group B are also not expected to win medals, so it becomes easier than ever for the judges to put them in a certain ladder, as it happens with judged sports.

Ladders are not a problem by default. Athletes should be grouped according to their level. The main problem is when athletes get stuck in a ladder even though their level has improved (or worsened).

Yes! This is a huge problem too. It's not too bad in weightlifting, for example. While there's a panel of judges in weightlifting, it's still possible to win a medal coming from group B. We've seen that at the last Olympics, denying a medal for Albania. But in rhythmic gymnastics the evaluation a lot more subjective and bias is definitely a problem when it comes to the smaller programs. I don't think Raffaelli could realistically fight for a medal in the all-around in a competition with both Averinas and Harnasko on fire, but a top 6 finish is still well within reach. But coming from group B, that would be highly unlikely even if she kills it. 

And Brazil also sneaked into a final with the group!

I know that for the next 20 or 30 years we'll probably not even come close to get a medal at the World Championships in this sport, but I'm really excited now to see both an individual gymnast and the Brazilian group at the biggest world stage this sport has to offer, besides the Olympic Games, of course.

Bulgaria Olympic champions, Harnasko world champion and now Italy's group world champions.

I absolutely HATE this code of points, but after suffering through it for 5 years, we finally were rewarded with the most deserving groups and individuals finally getting a gold medal.