website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2022

rybak

6 hours ago, Makedonas said:

I wasn't able to watch tonight but I am glad that we qualified, even though it was expected.

Hope we can get our second consecutive top 10 finish on Saturday, and maybe do even better than last year :)

I'm surprised Albania didn't make it. Disappointed Austria and Croatia missed out although not surprised. Totally shocked that Switzerland made it. Crazy that some years they had good songs and got robbed (2013, 2017, 2018) and then this year with this boring song they make it :lol:

Albania would have made it just by having a semi-erotic show, I guess? Because the singing just didn't work, at all :p 

Austria was the most disappointing I think. Their song sounds excellent in the studio version, but the live performance was....not good. I guess the singer just isn't experienced enough yet and got sort of stuck with having such a huge audience.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Just now watching the performances. I don't know who made this decision, but the audience is so far away from the stage that I miss the "human" element. Most of the time the camera work doesn't help either, in some performances we only see the audience by the end.

It oddly still feels like the middle of the pandemic sometimes, when watching :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Everything is still full with discussion about things like especially the camera work, it seems to still be off, with shots changing too late and so on...I really hope the organization will be able to fix it before tonight..

:GBR seems to be the real deal this time, people are really positive about how the song turned out in the live performance yesterday. I want to see the performance myself but if this is true, they can win the jury vote on Saturday. Maybe we will finally see the United Kingdom in the Top3 for the first time in 20 years. 

I'm very late to this, but if I had to pick my top 10 for semi-final 1, it would be:

:POR

:NED

:SLO

:ARM

:ISL

:LTU

:SUI

:UKR

:LAT

:DEN

Nearly the entire show was filmed like shit, but the way that Maro from Portugal set up her entrance and closing shots, were really the highlight of the evening.

I really don’t understand why people like Portugal entry. The song itself is not bad, but come on, Maro’s voice was practically “drowned” by the backup singers, and that itself is something that in my opinion should never happen on a live performance.

Other than that, well done by Switzerland and Iceland entering the final against more favored songs.

27 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

I really don’t understand why people like Portugal entry. The song itself is not bad, but come on, Maro’s voice was practically “drowned” by the backup singers, and that itself is something that in my opinion should never happen on a live performance.

Other than that, well done by Switzerland and Iceland entering the final against more favored songs.

The song is written in such a way that the backing vocalists should intimately work together with the lead vocalist, thus the level of sound discrepancy shouldn't be too huge to not hurt the intimate arrangement. BUT, you were right about Maro's voice being drowned out by the backing vocalists, the upper register harmonies were too loud in the mix and there is one of five things that happened:

1. The Portuguese delegation didn't hear that two of the backing vocalists that were singing the higher parts were overwhelmingly louder in the mix when they were in the prep room.

2. Sometimes, everything sounds great in the prep room and you make the post rehearsal adjustments the way that you like, but the sound that's translated to the audience (and especially TV) sounds completely different - thus a possible screw up by the sound engineers.

3. Backing vocalists singing slightly more subdued in the soundcheck room (thus the mix sounds great), during the live performance giving their all and overwhelming the lower harmonies that cannot keep up, because it is easier to sing louder the higher you sing.

4. The distance between the microphone and the vocalist is closer than it was during the soundcheck.

5. The mistake of having every single backing vocalist on the same audio level, because we come back to the problem of easier to sing louder when you sing higher.

I think that 2-3% louder volume on Maro's microphone, 3% lower volume on the microphone for the woman that is second if we look from Maro's left and I think that everything should sound perfect.