website statistics

Men's Cricket ICC T20 World Cup 2022

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Also, I think having both cricket and rugby at the Games is a bad call. This isn't the Commonwealth Games, pick one of the two and leave the other out of the program. Personally I would pick T20 cricket over rugby sevens. T20 isn't that different from "traditional" cricket, while rugby sevens feels like a cheap imitation of the real thing. Rugby sevens shouldn't have been included in the first place, it's pretty much the equivalent of 3x3 basketball, which also shouldn't be part of the program.

Rugby (seven, fifteen) is a lot less commonwealth focused and more universal than Cricket. We already had 2 non-commonwealth countries medalists at the last olympics when you would have only commonwealth countries winning medals for the next 100 years if cricket was an olympic sport.

Cricket and rugby may both have ties to the Commonwealth, but they appeal to a different set of Commonwealth nations. Sure they both have :AUS :GBR :NZL :RSA but after that things get different. Asia loves cricket while the Pacific nations love rugby and neither care very much about the other. In the Americas the Caribbean nations would easily defeat Canada while the opposite is true in rugby.

Even among non-Commonwealth nations the only nation that's relatively big on both sports is Ireland. Cricket could see the likes of :AFG :NED :ZIM (assuming a 12 team tournament) while rugby would see the likes of :ARG :FRA :USA

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

Rugby (seven, fifteen) is a lot less commonwealth focused and more universal than Cricket. We already had 2 non-commonwealth countries medalists at the last olympics when you would have only commonwealth countries winning medals for the next 100 years if cricket was an olympic sport.

In the 86 years since handball was first introduced to the Olympics only two countries from outside Europe have ever won a medal. Do you think that sport should be excluded? Afterall Europe consists of fewer countries and far fewer people than the Commonwealth.

The introduction of cricket would mean that a lot of countries and parts of the world that never have the opportunity to compete in team sports at the Olympics would have a chance to do so. I'm thinking in particular of South Asia, Southern Africa and the Caribbean. The Olympics needs to stop being so Eurocentric.

34 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

And :THA if it's a 10 team tournament. If it's a Olympic sport the govt would invest so much that it can make it in top10.

Good point. :NEP (always wanted to use this one 😊) would likely do the same as cricket continues to spread from the subcontinent. :MAS too.

57 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

In the 86 years since handball was first introduced to the Olympics only two countries from outside Europe have ever won a medal. Do you think that sport should be excluded? Afterall Europe consists of fewer countries and far fewer people than the Commonwealth.

The introduction of cricket would mean that a lot of countries and parts of the world that never have the opportunity to compete in team sports at the Olympics would have a chance to do so. I'm thinking in particular of South Asia, Southern Africa and the Caribbean. The Olympics needs to stop being so Eurocentric.

What kind of strawman argument is that. Handball has nothing to do with the discussion. It's an universal sport, heavely dominated by European countries, but played pretty much everywhere by locals. 

Cricket is not. Outside of T1 nations, the game is almost non existent or limited to expats from cricket nations. The Netherlands are often cited in these kind of discussions as some kind of proof of some depth behind T1 nations. Yet, with the country only having around 5,000 players it is demonstrating quite the opposite.

For me, that's a sport that should not be Olympic. 

In that regard, rugby is doing much better (Spain with 40k players as an exemple of a non-commonwealth, non-T1 nation), which was my initial point. Baseball also. 

Ps: I'm quoting numbers from european countries as they are the ones the most easely accessible. 

Edited by De_Gambassi

3 hours ago, Vektor said:

Another very obvious way to free up spots for more worthy team sports like cricket: get rid of 4 teams in men's football. I mean, this is a no brainer. How much time will it take for them to do this? This is the one quota reduction that no one will be upset about because no one cares about the men's football tournament at the Games, yet it has 16 teams, unlike any other teamsport. 

I think we will sooner see men's water polo dropping to 10 teams. :p

For me, the best measure of qualify in a team sport is how many nations qualify between both men's and women's tournaments. Football is the best here (besides being the most popular team sport in the world bar none). It's the only team sport where the likes of Honduras, Iraq, Chile, Zambia, Mali and many more can not only qualify but also be competitive at the tournament itself.

With my metrics, field hockey and rugby are probably the least competitive. Way too much overlap between male and female qualifiers.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, the arena requirements for cricket is quite large (it has the largest field dimensions out of all the popular sports) so it only makes sense for nations which already have cricket venues to host it. Especially if the IOC is still big on cutting down costs for host nations.

any stadium with the athletics' track can easily host a cricket match at the highest level, it's only about putting a grass carpet over the track.

but the size is there. ;)