website statistics

Men's Cricket ICC T20 World Cup 2022

Totallympics

Yeah, finding 180 quotas for a bare minimum tournament is a hard ask. Most sports are already at their limit so the IOC would have to kick out a sport with significant quotas for it to work.

Also a 6-team tournament would be useless (like it was for baseball/softball). Even from a money point of view, sure :IND is the big prize, but :PAK and :BAN are the 5th and 8th most populous nations and a 6-team tournament likely leaves two nations with relatively minimal Olympic interest off the table.

4 minutes ago, Dragon said:

That's why boxing and weightlifting should be worried

Those two disciplines should be worried because of their scandals, not because of cricket. Boxing and weightlifting are two of the most fundamental Olympic sports, they should only be removed if they are beyond saving at this point, not because they would be replaced by yet another team sport.

Also, I think having both cricket and rugby at the Games is a bad call. This isn't the Commonwealth Games, pick one of the two and leave the other out of the program. Personally I would pick T20 cricket over rugby sevens. T20 isn't that different from "traditional" cricket, while rugby sevens feels like a cheap imitation of the real thing. Rugby sevens shouldn't have been included in the first place, it's pretty much the equivalent of 3x3 basketball, which also shouldn't be part of the program.

So here's my solution: get rid of 3x3 basketball and rugby sevens. And wow, look at that, we just found 352 athlete quotas for T20 cricket this way, which is almost enough for two 12 team tournaments. 

19 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Those two disciplines should be worried because of their scandals, not because of cricket. Boxing and weightlifting are two of the most fundamental Olympic sports, they should only be removed if they are beyond saving at this point, not because they would be replaced by yet another team sport.

Also, I think having both cricket and rugby at the Games is a bad call. This isn't the Commonwealth Games, pick one of the two and leave the other out of the program. Personally I would pick T20 cricket over rugby sevens. T20 isn't that different from "traditional" cricket, while rugby sevens feels like a cheap imitation of the real thing. Rugby sevens shouldn't have been included in the first place, it's pretty much the equivalent of 3x3 basketball, which also shouldn't be part of the program.

So here's my solution: get rid of 3x3 basketball and rugby sevens. And wow, look at that, we just found 352 athlete quotas for T20 cricket this way, which is almost enough for two 12 team tournaments. 

I agree...

however, the T20 Cricket tournaments might be limited to 10 men and 8 women's teams...we're gonna have universality and a competitive tournament even with those numbers.

personally I hope to see cricket replacing the 2 senseless "minor things" about Rugby (even if it's complicated, as you just can't have a proper 15-man rugby event at the Olympics and Rugby has lots of fans and economical power) and Basket (the only real Basketball game is the already established 5*5...having 3*3 out of the Games is a no brainer for me).

Another very obvious way to free up spots for more worthy team sports like cricket: get rid of 4 teams in men's football. I mean, this is a no brainer. How much time will it take for them to do this? This is the one quota reduction that no one will be upset about because no one cares about the men's football tournament at the Games, yet it has 16 teams, unlike any other teamsport. 

Edited by Vektor

12 minutes ago, Dragon said:

In my opinion Cricket is only an Olympic sport if the Games are held in India or Australia.

And nowhere else.

Yeah, the arena requirements for cricket is quite large (it has the largest field dimensions out of all the popular sports) so it only makes sense for nations which already have cricket venues to host it. Especially if the IOC is still big on cutting down costs for host nations.

7 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, the arena requirements for cricket is quite large (it has the largest field dimensions out of all the popular sports) so it only makes sense for nations which already have cricket venues to host it. Especially if the IOC is still big on cutting down costs for host nations.

Yes, you need atleast 2-3 stadiums to have any meaningful tournament. 6 team tournament would mean 15 + 15 group stage matches followed by 4 semis and 4 medal matches. 38 matches in 3 stadium would also mean  each stadium hosting a game everyday for 15 days. Would require one hell of a curator team. 

27 minutes ago, Dragon said:

In my opinion Cricket is only an Olympic sport if the Games are held in India or Australia.

And nowhere else.

Aren’t you missing UK? Olympic Gold medal match at Lord’s would be quite iconic. 

25 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Yes, you need atleast 2-3 stadiums to have any meaningful tournament. 6 team tournament would mean 15 + 15 group stage matches followed by 4 semis and 4 medal matches. 38 matches in 3 stadium would also mean  each stadium hosting a game everyday for 15 days. Would require one hell of a curator team. 

Aren’t you missing UK? Olympic Gold medal match at Lord’s would be quite iconic. 

No. I don't think so.  So many Olympic cricket golds would be iconic here but Australia and especially India and Pakistan would be much bigger.