website statistics

Bobsleigh IBSF World Cup 2021 - 2022

Totallympics

6 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Well yeah it is dangerous, but lets be fair, All freestyle skiing are similarly dangerous, Halfpipe, Ski Cross, Big Air are all dangerous as well...and if we want be nitpicking Alpine Skiing (Speed events) and Ski Jumping are probably even more dangerous..so it is not fair to just point the finger only to the aerials.

Aerials are quite fun and spectacular to watch. I personally like them.

Now the other question is if it is enough competitive to be at the Olympics and have 3 medal events, and here yes I agree that it is not. But again, it is not the fault of :CHN:RUS or :USA:UKR:BLR:SUI that nobody else is able to compete at major events in this, and other nations do not even consider to try starting the program. The Czechs had a Olympic champion in this sport (I remember Valenta races were extremely followed in the country) but it did not help the Aerials program in the country at all.

and :CAN 

I think the FIS wanted to add the Aerials mixed team event to encourage more nations to take up the discipline, and clearly it has not helped.

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

and :CAN 

I think the FIS wanted to add the Aerials mixed team event to encourage more nations to take up the discipline, and clearly it has not helped.

Yeah I forgot Canada and :AUS and :KAZ . now I think the count should be completed :d

Exactly this was the primary reason. + I gently still accuse FIS of trying to help the organizing country a little to win some medals at the home games...but like we know the Olympics are not only FIS sports :p Chinese did not need it, they can still win several medals accros many different sports.

1 hour ago, dcro said:

The problem with aerials is that it literally exists only in 13 nations. 12 of whom are provisionally qualified for Beijing. It's non-existant elsewhere.

And no new nation has joined the circuit for years now. Either they can't join, or FIS is doing a criminally bad job in expanding the discipline.

I think the last nation who tried to join was Brazil. They sent two former gymnasts to try to qualify for Sochi, and it ended so badly that one of them (or did both eventually?) ended up permanently paralysed following a training accident. It was disturbing, and honestly FIS should be held complicit.

Rant ends.

Souza’s injury had nothing to do with aerials. She got injured while skiing recreationally on a public trail, not during training.

Aerials is pretty far down the list of most dangerous sports at the winter games tbh.

Despite beating one of the German crews in Heat 1, it's "only" 12th place for the Dutch today. Our crew can still hope... for now.

St. Moritz to go next week. The Dutch still need one Top 8 or Top 12 in the overall standings. They moved up to 14th overall, so another pathway started opening up there, especially if someone ahead tests positive in the upcoming days...

#banbestmen

London 2012 Long Jump Gold Medallist Greg Rutherford made his GB debut in the Lamin Deen sled today.  He was a bit average in terms of getting loaded smoothly, but the start was fairly quick.  He's certainly not getting anywhere near the medal prospect Brad Hall sled though. 

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Rip Canada lost its third 4 man sled, due to Covid essentially... 

though moving forward, I think the 4 man event should be limited to 2 sleds per NOC, which would essentially allow two more countries to compete.

Well, Spring has a big chance to improve his 7th best result (45 points from Innsbruck 2). Stulnev is within reach.

And seeing how Spring is currently ranked 12th at WC, I hope he'll do really well in St. Moritz. :p

#banbestmen

20 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Rip Canada lost its third 4 man sled, due to Covid essentially... 

though moving forward, I think the 4 man event should be limited to 2 sleds per NOC, which would essentially allow two more countries to compete.

I’m not really impressed by any of the IBSF’s qualification systems. The change I’d suggest would be to switch to to ranking based allocations for multiple sleds. For example, if you have 3 sleds in the top 15 of the world ranking, then you can have three sleds. If you have two sleds in the top 25, then you can have two sleds. Otherwise, you get one sled.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m not really impressed by any of the IBSF’s qualification systems. The change I’d suggest would be to switch to to ranking based allocations for multiple sleds. For example, if you have 3 sleds in the top 15 of the world ranking, then you can have three sleds. If you have two sleds in the top 25, then you can have two sleds. Otherwise, you get one sled.

Just like Luge