website statistics

Totallympics Announcements Thread

Sindo

The new home page is now live!

I hope you all like it :old:

For those who do not like changes, you can still get the "old" home here: https://totallympics.com/forums/

Feel free to share any comment, suggestion or feedback!

12 hours ago, Werloc said:

I wonder if it will test me on how old and resistant to change I became over the years :lol: 

I have become quite accustomed to change, but only if it doesn't mean extra work (like scrolling a full screen) to see the exact same information :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

25 minutes ago, Sindo said:

The new home page is now live!

I hope you all like it :old:

For those who do not like changes, you can still get the "old" home here: https://totallympics.com/forums/

Feel free to share any comment, suggestion or feedback!

The 'Latest Articles from Totallympics News' part is....very present, so to say.

I was always happy Totallympics is usually a fairly easy place to avoid spoilers (apart from the few disappointing times during things like Olympics where people feel the need to mention the results of a country in sport X in the thread of sport Y), but almost literally the entire screen is now filled with the news part instead of the forum part.

There is of course the /forums link you posted, so with the news item being this large, I'll definitely change my bookmakers to that so the whole screen will be filled with forum threads again, but since you asked for feedback.... :p 

Not trying to be negative by the way: I do think this news part has a place and is an excellent addition to Totallympics as a whole, I'm just not sure this specific place is the right one in terms of keeping the main feel of Totallympics being a forum.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Oh and to also give some positive feedback: +1 for the awesome qualifying trackers on the right :d 

They actually do feel like they're perfectly integrated into the site in terms of size and 'presence'. Not dominating, but perfectly placed.

25 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The 'Latest Articles from Totallympics News' part is....very present, so to say.

I was always happy Totallympics is usually a fairly easy place to avoid spoilers (apart from the few disappointing times during things like Olympics where people feel the need to mention the results of a country in sport X in the thread of sport Y), but almost literally the entire screen is now filled with the news part instead of the forum part.

There is of course the /forums link you posted, so with the news item being this large, I'll definitely change my bookmakers to that so the whole screen will be filled with forum threads again, but since you asked for feedback.... :p 

Not trying to be negative by the way: I do think this news part has a place and is an excellent addition to Totallympics as a whole, I'm just not sure this specific place is the right one in terms of keeping the main feel of Totallympics being a forum.

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, the article part is very "present" now, but I think this is the only way to give visibility to the articles written by our users. They spend time on it, so I think they deserve visibility.

(By the way: if anyone else wants to contribute with articles from time to time just let me know!)

But these are all "blocks" which can be easily moved (literally very easily, just by drag and drop with my mouse). So I can choose on a daily/weekly basis what to have on top. My general idea was to have the news articles for the first hours an article has been posted, and move the "latest replies" block on top when there are no new articles in the last hours/days. And then I can move on top a prediction contest the day before the prediction deadline, the Totallympics Song Contest in the week of the contest etc.

Of course this would not avoid spoilers, but I'm sure you can find a way skip spoilers if you want to. Also, the articles are usually not feeds about last minute results, rather they are some reviews of some competition ended some hours before.

Edited by Sindo

12 minutes ago, Sindo said:

Of course this would not avoid spoilers, but I'm sure you can find a way skip spoilers if you want to. Also, the articles are usually not feeds about last minute results, rather they are some reviews of some competition ended some hours before.

I consider myself fairly well trained in avoiding spoilers by now, so a workaround will definitely be possible :d (like on YouTube never ever looking at the suggestions but going straight to the search bar, on news websites never opening the sports sections, in videos of US sports blocking that never-ending 'news bar' at the bottom and here going straight to the forum threads :p)