website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2022

George_D

Yeah, Johnson walked into a political corectness trap all by himself and got swiftly put down by the twitter mob. Guess Africa is really a third world country unworthy of setting off the charts World Records? When a black person gets accused of racism then you know he's a rich black person who has all the priviledges most of Africa doesn't have.

When Warholm & McLaughlin beat the 400H records nobody says anything about the faulty timing? The magic shoes, yeah, obviously but nothing about the clock being wrong.

Last weekend was pretty interesting, especially the sunday had some great stuff. It was shocking to see the Dutch 4x4 squads perform so poorly in the heats: A bit of bad luck for the women, no excuses for the men though.

The 100 relays were pretty interesting and with results I did not at all expect. Sad to see Warner go out of the Decathlon, although I think he would have solidly beaten Mayer anyway. 

Big turnarounds on the second day. Mayer turned up, Kaul delivered somewhat but could not find his amazing Javelin of Doha once more to give us another surprise and Owens kinda fell away after a great first day, even compared to his PB series. Lepage had a great second day, salvaging something for Canada.

And then the WR on the hurdles and pole vault alongside great 5000 and 800 races and a fun LJ-competition. The winning distance wasn't amazing, but still all right for current standards and the competition behind was pretty close. Sad to see :GUA just missing out of medaling at the 5000.

4x400 finals were not really interesting and kind of an anticlimactic finish. At least the battle between Belgium and Jamaica was ok-ish, but USA had a humongous lead twice.

On 7/26/2022 at 6:31 AM, heywoodu said:

Wow. For the Dutch fans it was a gift from heaven to have this time schedule, with the main sessions being roughly from 02.00 to 05.00 CET. I think NOS didn't think it'd be worth having some expert in a studio or something*, so much to everyone's positive suprise, they had no studio program at all and simply were live with sports for the full three hours :hyper: Reporter introduced the session for two minutes or so and closed it off at the end, and there were a few semi-live interviews in between, but that was it and mostly that was timed in between events. I couldn't believe my eyes, normally NOS misses half of the stuff during big events like this to talk about...well, things :d 

*they did have a program of around one hour every evening at 19.00 I think, showing the previous night's session's highlights, but I didn't really watch that since I had seen all that anyway

The BBC coverage was also very good after their complete "bare bones" coverage of the Budapest FINA Championships- a mix of studio but mostly interviews and live sport. I was a bit annoyed that they neglected the field events and they still talked over national anthem though

On 7/26/2022 at 8:08 AM, dullard said:

I don't know if this has been shared already but it's an interesting article.

Despite huge success at world championships, track popularity lags in U.S.

No surprise they won't be heading back to Eugene which should never have hosted to begin with.

Michael Johnson also raised this concern. But to be honest, for what it was, the championships seemed to get a fair bit of attention here. But sporty people don't seem to care about athletics... as well as football it's normally F1, UFC/Boxing, Darts, and maybe cricket...

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

43 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

The BBC coverage was also very good after their complete "bare bones" coverage of the Budapest FINA Championships- a mix of studio but mostly interviews and live sport.

Well that makes me jealous. The swimming world championships were shown by the NOS with at least 50% studio time per session, I think more than half of the finals and definitely more than 60-70 percent of the semis with no Dutch swimmers were shown delayed, because they were talking in the studio during the races.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

The BBC only showed afternoon sessions and diving finals with no studio analysis or interviews at all, just the world feed with the (very good) BBC commentary team

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

Great world champs for India .... Of course neeraj Chopra's silver in javelin is only our second medal ever ( and first since 2003) ..... But also to have 6  finalists was a first .... I think a couple were even medal  possibles if they had hit their PBs ..... But still a great event for us ....

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Well that makes me jealous. The swimming world championships were shown by the NOS with at least 50% studio time per session, I think more than half of the finals and definitely more than 60-70 percent of the semis with no Dutch swimmers were shown delayed, because they were talking in the studio during the races.

The big problem was the fact that the first hour of coverage was only online, meaning a lot of the second hour which was on TV was also used to show replays of finals in the first hour.

Classic case of the EO thinking their 18.30 program is too important to ditch for the champs. Our public broadcasting service is kind of a mess.

6 minutes ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

The big problem was the fact that the first hour of coverage was only online, meaning a lot of the second hour which was on TV was also used to show replays of finals in the first hour.

Classic case of the EO thinking their 18.30 program is too important to ditch for the champs. Our public broadcasting service is kind of a mess.

Yeah, that may have worked back before the internet where we didn't get the results as they came in, but now they are leaving a lot of viewership behind by not showing it live.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 8:24 PM, hckošice said:

Still not decided it seems.

First proposals were to just count the 2 best W + 2 best M times combined, but there were some strong opposition to that according to our athletics guru Alfons Juck

Is there any update / link on the subject? The schedule for the Paris 2024 is announced with 35 k mixed team - but still no further clue... just 2 years before the Games.

Not the level of planning expected by World Athletics.