website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2022

George_D

9 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Honestly weird overperformance from Katarzyna with no prior honours even in European level.

Makes me sad that so many Lithuanians were not able to replicate this success having so many good athletes in the past, Brigita Virbalytė and Živilė Vaiciukevičiūtė came closest with 4th and 5th in ECH 2018.

Race walking is the low-hanging fruit with Russians banned. You only have to compete vs Spain & Latin America countries plus China. USA, Africa and most western Europe don't give a damn about this sport and will never be competitive at it save for maybe one-off crazy enthusiasts but they are very rare. Australia has also vanished from the sport.

35 minutes ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

I'm not well known in race walking, would this be a huge upset if :PER wins?

well this WC is being held in American continent so i would say no. Provided that race walking is an open event also with a lot of surprises (dsq, etc.)

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Race walking is the low-hanging fruit with Russians banned. You only have to compete vs Spain & Latin America countries plus China. USA, Africa and most western Europe don't give a damn about this sport and will never be competitive at it save for maybe one-off crazy enthusiasts but they are very rare. Australia has also vanished from the sport.

Portugal used to be somewhat of a powerhouse as well, plus there's Palmisano from Italy, I just don't know why she's not here, but I can only assume an injury. 

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

They just came fourth!  But you are right, in the money follows success world of sports funding now nations can fall away very quickly even from events in which they are well known.

10 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Portugal used to be somewhat of a powerhouse as well, plus there's Palmisano from Italy, I just don't know why she's not here, but I can only assume an injury. 

Yes, Palmisano has a hip injury and she's out for the season (and since she doesn't want to undergo any surgery, she might be done forever)...

By the way, well deserved success for Leon Garcia, she's the only one walking correctly after the 6th/7th kilometer...

The other girls in the leading group (the only ones in the tv pictures) were jumping like kangaroos...

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I hear Tim Hutchings is still commenting after Eurosport but what channel is that?

There's a new Scandinavian Channel starting in 2023 that has bought a lot of athletics rights, also handball, volleyball, winter sports as well as murder mysteries.