website statistics

Asian Games 2018

Fly_like_a_don

I hope we can still get another Gold for the Philippines. If we reach 5 gold medals in this year’s Asian games, this would be our best finish since 1966. Right now we still have 3 boxers in the medal rounds, 2 more in women’s judo. There’s triathlon still but it’s a long shot getting a medal there though anything is still possible

I'm not sure how many people here follow League of Legends at all, but :CHN winning the gold over :KOR is a huge deal in that world. South Korean professional teams have won the last five world championships, often defeating Chinese teams in the semi-finals or the finals (though usually Chinese teams with two of their five players hailing from Korea, which is the maximum allowed). 

There was nearly a million concurrent views on the Twitch stream for the League of Legends finals, despite complaints from fan that the stream was of low quality (specifically criticism that the observer, the in-game cameraman so to speak, wasn't good). There where also complaints from the South Korean team that the organization was subpar compared to professional tournaments.

Generally this event makes me a bit pessimistic that multi sport organizations are able to put together a good e-sport competition. It reminded me a lot of the old World Cyber Games tournaments that, by the end, felt like a relic in terms of production and of organization. But I think it's popularity also highlights how important it is for the IOC to get involved. They just can't approach it like "real" sports because it's a completely different world with different expectations. But I don't think the IOC has the necessary humility to make it work.

pity there is no TV coverage for Canoeing. we had some interesting finals today morning. 3 medals for Iran but no gold as expected :cry: we are good in all events but not "very good" in any of them to win the gold. glad for Hedieh Kazemi, this is the first ever silver for Iranian girls in canoeing.

but I'm so happy for Saeid Mollaei, despite being the top seed I had no hope for him but he showed me that he is not World #1 (or #2) for nothing. he secured our first medal in Judo, I hope for a gold later today. he is known in Iran as "bronze man" since he won a bag full of bronze from international competitions :d

but seriously only Iranians are capable of losing a match with only and only 1 second to go ! Barimanloo was doing fine with the Korean and things were going into the extra time with Korean guy being more tired but then bang. Ippon with 1 second to go :cry: