website statistics

Athletics at the European Championships 2022

Totallympics

If you want to feel a bit old, think that when Greece last won gold in women's javelin at a european championships, it was in 2002 in the same stadium and Jengo was one month unborn back then. 

And if you want to feel a bit older, think that when Spotakova made her olympic debut in 2004, Vilagos was seven months old.

Tzengo was impressive, she started with a relatively good first throw which took all the pressure off and helped her throw a personal best in her next throw. This was a great day for us with two gold medals. I know our other two golds in these championships on the same day as well, as @Makedonas said, but I think those were way more expected than the one our athletes won today.

Vilagos was impressive too. Remember she had two foul throws in qualifying before having a third one just good enough to put her in the final. Today she didn't start well, but gradually climbed up to third place and then despite Spotakova bumped her out of the podium spots and Vilagos had to throw immediately afterwards, she managed to improve and won silver.  

As for Spotakova, just appreciation and respect for her effort and medal at 41 years old, a true legend in this sport not just in javelin.

To conclude all three medalists today have a :hatoff: from me.

9 minutes ago, maestro said:

If you want to feel a bit old, think that when Greece last won gold in women's javelin at a european championships, it was in 2002 in the same stadium and Jengo was one month unborn back then. 

Fun fact: We have won gold in the women's javelin three times. Anna Verouli won gold in 1982, then Manjani in 2002 and Tzengko in 2022 :d

I have a feeling we won't have to wait 20 years for another women's javelin gold considering Tzengko's age and ability ;)

In Albania, they are pretty sure Gega will win a medal in Paris:

Pra një fenomen që i bën nder atletikës shqiptare, ndërsa “Paris 2024” do ta ketë një siguri më shumë për një medalje olimpike në 3000 metra me pengesa.

Source: https://sport.rtsh.al/artikull/luiza-gega-kampione-europe

Translation (Google Translate): "So a phenomenon that honors Albanian athletics, while "Paris 2024" will have one more certainty for an Olympic medal in the 3000 meters steeplechase."