website statistics

Athletics at the European Championships 2022

Totallympics

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Yeah, I think the British will counter-appeal here. And then the French will appeal again. Maybe we will know the outcome by Saturday.

Swedish media said Sweden did leave a protest. :mumble: And then Montler get the silver. 

28 minutes ago, dcro said:

This looks fine to me to be honest... :dunno:

No, the point of the foot is beyond the line of fault...

they changed the rules a couple of years ago and now it's not the sign on the board counting anymore, it's the projection of the entire foot that must be behind the line...

actually, I was surprised he wasn't given a red light just after the jump... 

This Dutch commentator and his English colleagues, I seriously can't...

First of all, him and the entire idiot NOS crew come with their report before the decathlon 1500m about how 'since the start of the decathlon yesterday it looked like Simon Ehammer was on his way to a convincing gold medal'. No, it never looked that way, literally anyone who has seen and followed a few decathlons with some sort of interest knows that's not how it works.

Meanwhile the Munich 2022/European Athletics commentators on the stream, after Kaul's excellent but not unique javelin throw, kept talking about how it would be the - I quote - 'upset of these championships' if Kaul manages to come all the way back after day one to grab a medal. No, it really wouldn't, he was in pole position most of the time. Learn how multi-events work, for fuck's sake.

And to top things off, when Kaul had been across the finish line for 30+ seconds and Ehammer was obviously not there yet, the Dutch commentator finished by saying "And it's Niklas Kaul who takes the world title!".

If you don't know how to follow a multi-event, just sit back and relax and enjoy, because it's awesome, but don't be a TV commentator for it...

/rant :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Lückenkemper - Kambundji with gold and silver topped the night off beautifully :d 

Wonderful session :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

This Dutch commentator and his English colleagues, I seriously can't...

First of all, him and the entire idiot NOS crew come with their report before the decathlon 1500m about how 'since the start of the decathlon yesterday it looked like Simon Ehammer was on his way to a convincing gold medal'. No, it never looked that way, literally anyone who has seen and followed a few decathlons with some sort of interest knows that's not how it works.

Meanwhile the Munich 2022/European Athletics commentators on the stream, after Kaul's excellent but not unique javelin throw, kept talking about how it would be the - I quote - 'upset of these championships' if Kaul manages to come all the way back after day one to grab a medal. No, it really wouldn't, he was in pole position most of the time. Learn how multi-events work, for fuck's sake.

And to top things off, when Kaul had been across the finish line for 30+ seconds and Ehammer was obviously not there yet, the Dutch commentator finished by saying "And it's Niklas Kaul who takes the world title!".

If you don't know how to follow a multi-event, just sit back and relax and enjoy, because it's awesome, but don't be a TV commentator for it...

/rant :p 

To be fair, the actual English (or British) commentators on the BBC criticised Ehammer's 1500m before the event. The presenter tried to call it 'modest' and then Denise Lewis said that it's "known in the industry as 'pretty woeful'" and they built it up correctly

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

Germany is good for us, we have only ever finished top 10 in the medals table twice at the European Championships, and both times were in Germany. Munich 2002 we were 5th with 4-0-2, and Berlin 2018 we were also 5th with 3-2-1. Munich 2022 is off to a good start so far, we have 2-0-0 :clap:

38 yo Antigoni Drisbioti winning gold in the women's 35km walk was a great start for us. I expected a medal from her but didn't think she'd get gold. She is really having her best results in the last year. 8th at the Tokyo Olympics (20km) and 4th at the World Championships in Eugene (35km). The Hellenic Olympic Committee didn't give her funding because she is "too old" according to them (which everyone who placed top 8 in Tokyo got except those after 30 yo like her and Kyriakopoulou). Her story is really cool too and she's starting to get some recognition in Greece finally, although I guarantee that 99% of the people congratulating her have never watched race walking and probably never will...

Tentoglou winning gold was obviously expected, and I'm glad he was able to do it with a WL/CR. This was also his second best outdoor performance of his career (he has 8.60 from last year) and third overall (he had 8.55 at the World Indoors this year). He still doesn't have the NR (8.66) which is crazy and I thought he would do it this year (though he still has Diamond League after this). His 8.52 jump today was far from perfect, he left a lot of space and could've definitely gotten over 8.60, plus the conditions weren't the best. Also he left the last 2 jumps and didn't make attempts, I really wanted him to get over 8.60 again and get a new PB and the NR but I guess I'll have to wait :d

Some of the others today were disappointing.

Stamatia Scarvelis missing out on the women's hammer final was shocking. She competed in 10 meets this season. Her two worst performances were the World Championships and European Championships :facepalm:

What is worse is that at all 8 other meets she threw over 67.68 (the necessary height to make the final here in Munich), and most of those times were over 70m. She seems to really struggle in these big events...

Chrysoula Anagnostopoulou finished 12th (last) in the women's discus final. I was definitely not expecting a medal or anything, but a better placement would've been nice and it would've helped her in the world rankings as well (to get into the 2023 World Championships and 2024 Olympics). Instead, she threw a shocking 56.10 which was her worst result of the season in 12 competitions. Like Scarvelis, she also flopped on the big stage although at least she made it to the final...

Vasiliki Chaitidou finished a respectable 16th place in the women's long jump considering it was her first major competition and she would've needed to equal her PB to make the final anyways.

Antonios Merlos not making the men's high jump final was disappointing but not too surprising, and it's good that overall he had a productive year after not doing well the past few years, he seems on the right track again.

I don't really have any comments on anyone else who competed today for us, too insignificant for me to say anything :lol: