website statistics

Figure Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

1 minute ago, Triplecast said:

There still is the matter of the Team Event medal.

The beef was today. Team Event in figure skating is just window dressing. IOC and ISU came out really fine with Valieva finishing 4th in the ladies event.

The controversy is how the positive test was revealed between TE and the medal ceremony. I don't think that was a coincidence. If that came out earlier Valieva would be replaced and Tuktamysheva probably drafted for the ladies event.

that was really sad. :( I'm not going to write more about this because it won't be nice at all. I learned more about how things works in some western media after this story (not that I didn't know but that was a new low) mission accomplished they managed to destroy that 15 years old criminal monster.

I hope she comes back, I wish she comes back stronger but I doubt it. :( this will be really hard for her. she probably needs a very long break to recover (if she ever does) I genuinely wish her the best of luck for the rest of her life and her career (if there is a career left)

Not sure if it is worth writing this post as it seems it has become another ideological soapbox but still:

Those who shout "western media" , why you dont have any criticsm towards the completely amoral and evil person of Tutberidze, who is the final responsible of all this? If she hasn't given prohibited subtance to a 15 year old girl, there would be no issue, and nothing to make for the "western media" a scandal from.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

Many people act as if the so-called "western media" (in fact, the media organizations mentioned in this topic are almost all British or American) made up this whole issue out of thin air.

Of course, it is possible and fair to be concerned by media ethics, and we actually saw people being destroyed by media (e.g. British tabloids vs. some members of their royal family). But not noticing the big issue, which is Tutberidze, is kind of disingenuous.

Unless someone wants to score ideological points and athlete welfare is just a convenient smokescreen.

Getting rid of Tutberidze solves nothing because sooner or later there will be another Tutberidze-like coach replacing her. Russia is one country that doesn't change it's ways and they won't buckle to outside pressure when it comes to figure skating of all things. You can totally forget about that.

BBC still didn't bother to report who actually won the women's event in their headline. They didn't bother to put Vlhova's name in the header for the slalom too - only that Shiffrin failed to win. So much for the most prolific media of the Western Europe :p

Being realistic about the probability that Russian coaching and approach to athlete welfare will change (=not much) versus subscribing to the narrative of "big bad western media destroyed the blameless innocent Russians" are two different things.

BTW, if I had x amount of money every time when a media org somewhere (and particularly outside continental Europe - so this includes the UK already) mixes up Budapest and Bucharest or Slovenia and Slovakia, I would be very rich already. So nothing new here too.

5 minutes ago, pdr4332 said:

Being realistic about the probability that Russian coaching and approach to athlete welfare will change (=not much) versus subscribing to the narrative of "big bad western media destroyed the blameless innocent Russians" are two different things.

BTW, if I had x amount of money every time when a media org somewhere (and particularly outside continental Europe - so this includes the UK already) mixes up Budapest and Bucharest or Slovenia and Slovakia, I would be very rich already. So nothing new here too.

Yeah, but if media doesn't even bother to report who won the damn event then they deserve to be called out every which way. I get that BBC doesn't know what a triple axel in women's competition means or nobody in the UK knows who Petra Vlhova is but their tunnel vision deserves the treatment. Such ignorance won't be tolerated. And now they will try to sell Valieva as the victim when they roasted her top to bottom in the last seven days. What a bunch of crap this is. They lost a great anti-Russian story and I love it. I suppose it's too late to dig up dirt on Shcherbakova & Trusova? :lol:

Any responsible federation who cares more about the athlete than a possible gold medal would have taken the poor girl out of the Olympics after the positive test. Media will always cannibalize drama, especially when it comes to Olympic Women's Figure Skating. In order to save her from that plus the high pressure she was under, a withdrawal would have been the only way to go. I cannot believe that anybody does not seek the exclusive responsibility for that shit show anywhere else but at her coaches and her federation. I hope she mentally recovers and comes back soon.

36 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

Any responsible federation who cares more about the athlete than a possible gold medal would have taken the poor girl out of the Olympics after the positive test. Media will always cannibalize drama, especially when it comes to Olympic Women's Figure Skating. In order to save her from that plus the high pressure she was under, a withdrawal would have been the only way to go. I cannot believe that anybody does not seek the exclusive responsibility for that shit show anywhere else but at her coaches and her federation. I hope she mentally recovers and comes back soon.

That's a sensible comment and approach, much more than shouting "Russophobes!" and "western media!"

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Apparently IOC had enough drama and didn't invite Valieva to the gala. Such a pity for the media!

This was already known, the IOC had said ahead of time that Valieva wouldn't be invited to the gala no matter the result.