website statistics

Figure Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Please, BBC roasted Valieva right over. I wonder what will they do now when there are no medals to be taken away in the ladies event? Such a good story all wasted. Russia will come with a new wave of skaters for Cortina and I don't think USA or Japan keeps up with the talent depth.

if it's true that they will raise the minimum age to compete, I guess the current Russian school might have some difficulties - they'll need to find girls who grow much later.

6 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

if it's true that they will raise the minimum age to compete, I guess the current Russian school might have some difficulties - they'll need to find girls who grow much later.

They probably will. Shcherbakova & Trusova turn 18 this year, it won't be a problem given how valued figure skating is in Russia. Meanwhile the tiktok & social media generation in USA probably hits that programme hard, I don't see them Americans spending years on the ice rink to become a pro figure skater. Add the coaching sex scandals in gymnastics and some reports in figure skating and it might really turn south soon. No such issues will plague the Russian programme IMO.

IOC openly talks about chasing the "next generation" of viewers. They allow 12 year olds to compete in skateboarding in the summer so having 15 year olds compete in the winter is suddenly the worst evil? Not really.