website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Some miracle has happened: the Dutch NOC said Maarten Meiners can go to Beijing even though he did not meet the NOC's criteria of finishing top 16 twice or top 8 once in the World Cup. :yikes:

Meiners is still allowed to go to Beijing because he was disadvantaged in his preparation compared to the top countries because of the corona pandemic. The technical director of the Dutch Ski Association said that ski areas remained open only to their own, national teams. An equal opportunity for optimal preparation for this season was thus denied him.

Meiners managed to finish 25th in a World Cup race on the giant slalom once both last winter and in the current season. 

Are they doing the same for bobsleigh?

#banbestmen

:RSA athlete gets 150.16 FIS points in his first ever FIS race, *the day* before the qualifying deadline. He can only do one other race tomorrow, so I think he'd have needed an average of 100 points.

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=AL&raceid=111122#results

17 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

:RSA athlete gets 150.16 FIS points in his first ever FIS race, *the day* before the qualifying deadline. He can only do one other race tomorrow, so I think he'd have needed an average of 100 points.

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=AL&raceid=111122#results

lol makes 0 sense... and the FIS has not been including people with less than 5 results on their tracker.... so I think he has 0 chance. However, in 2014, :VEN and :RSA were given quotas even though they didn't hit the intended 140 points or less (they were both just outside), so who knows. :RSA went onto decline that quota ofc.

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

lol makes 0 sense... and the FIS has not been including people with less than 5 results on their tracker.... so I think he has 0 chance. However, in 2014, :VEN and :RSA were given quotas even though they didn't hit the intended 140 points or less (they were both just outside), so who knows. :RSA went onto decline that quota ofc.

That's also the last hope for Cypriot women this time. Photiades is just outside (164 avg), and needs 136 or so tomorrow to qualify. Unlikely.

#banbestmen

It was posted earlier that Croatia will not compete in the team event.  I am curious then, if they pass, and there is no other country that has 2 male and 2 female quotas, does someone lose a quota so that New Zealand, Russia, or Belgium can participate?

Apparently :POL will somehow compete in the Team Event since we are 15th in Nations Cup or something :lol:  All thanks to basically one woman doing results in one event. We are sending FIVE skiers to Beijing which is absurd given we have zero operational slopes for pro skiers here (the Nosal slalom course has last been renovated around 1986 IIRC).

Unlike other countries we don't care if we don't have a shot at Top 8 or Top 16. Just squeeze in as many athletes as possible ;)

4 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

If I could have one wish for Beijing olympics, it would be a medal for Maryna in GS. 

I know, she has never got a podium in the world cup but anything can happen... 😉 

Brignone & Bassino would have to DNF for starters which isn't impossible. Getting by Hector, Shiffrin, Vlhova and Worley if they all finish seems improbable but you never know.