website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG World Championships 2021

Totallympics

Definitive registrations have been updated for the World Championships. To see the file, go here, click on "show files" then on "definitive registration".

It's nice to see that Syria, Serbia, Luxembourg and, especially, Bangladesh are sending gymnasts. Syria is not really a surprise, though, since they have a good vaulter that lives and trains in the United States. However, I'm very intrigued about Bangladesh. I didn't expect them to send any gymnasts. I'm kind of sad about Malaysia and Indonesia missing out entirely, unfortunately.

Also, a question for our :ESP members: why won't Spain send any women to the World Championships? Spain competed with a full team at the Olympics and Popa could even challenge for medals. What happened?

I have a feeling :GBR are in the end not going to send anyone. Whitlock is clearly not going and Fraser and Regini Moran have just had surgery. On the women side I think all four that went to Tokyo are going to take a break before a busy 2022 with two major home championships. 

:IRL will be there as Rhys McClenaghan has confirmed he is going. 

The definitive registrations are still being updated at the FIG website. According to the directives, this process should have been completed about one month ago, but here we are and they're still updating the list. Probably the only notable change has been the inclusion of :VIE.

• 3 weeks later...

:BEL will not send any women to Worlds. Baffling decision, especially considering Nina Derwael is the reigning World and Olympic champion.

:BRA Flávia Saraiva will also miss Worlds, but Rebeca Andrade will very likely attend, thankfully. She has resumed training and is preparing for Worlds.

• 2 weeks later...

FIG has not released the nominative entries yet, but many countries decided to send young and up and coming gymnasts, so this will be a very interesting and open event. It will be hard to predict anything. Many of the Olympians will skip the competition altogether.

China entry list (non Olympians)

Men: Zhang Boheng (AA, Floor and HB), Si Cong (AA), Weng Hao (PH), Lan Xingyu (Rings), Huang Mingqi (Vault), Hu Xuwei (HB)

Women: Wei Xiaoyuan (AA and UB), Li Sijia (BB), Luo Rui (AA), Qi qi (Vault)

It's a compensation for non-selected gymnasts of OG also an opportunity for future stars. The most attractive part for Chinese fans should be the AA battle between OG champion Daiki Hashimoto and our rising star Zhang Boheng.

The nominative list is finally available here. Overall, a very weak event.

Very few stars on the women's side. Tokyo medalists Rebeca Andrade, Angelina Melnikova, Vladislava Urazova and Mai Murakami are probably the most competitive gymnasts here. Great Britain's Becky Downie and Germany's Pauline Schaefer, former world champion, are also very well known. Many teams, including the US, are going to send up and coming gymnasts.

On vault, this is Rebeca Andrade's title to lose. Murakami should get silver comfortably. For the bronze medal, either :FRA Devillard or :NED Geurtz. Small but decent chance for :SLO Kysselef, one who has been around for a VERY long time, to finally make an appearance in a final at the World Championships. On the uneven bars, the Russian Gymnastics Federation should have the upper hand here. Becky Downie and Mae Fenton, both from :GBR could be surprise medalists. China, Brazil, one of the Americans or even one of the :KOR girls could be surprising medalists. On beam, it's anyone's game. :TPE could win a medal here with some luck. On floor, Melinkova and Murakami should make the podium, along with one other surprising medalist. I'm not betting my money on the US girls, but they should make a number of podiums too, especially in the all-around.

On the men's side, things are slightly more interesting. Real chances for a first-ever medal for :EGY on rings, especially with the absence of most well known gymnasts, and for :HKG on vault. Slight medal chances on other apparatus for :ALB and :LTU. BIG missed opportunities for :IRI and :JOR who will not send any gymnasts to this event. :PAN has two great female vaulters and one of them  could make the final here, but the contry will only send male gymnasts who have no chance whatsoever to make a final. I don't get it.