website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

20 hours ago, hckošice said:

I know that I know nothing about, I know I am annoying as shit under the shoes repeating always the same coment, but I simply can not.. I can not understand why there only 1 run, it seems to me so unfair and completely injust for an Olympic event, maybe even more than the biathlon pursuits

Buddy, no worries, quite literally everyone except for the IOC/ISU agrees with you :d 

Already since the rumours started of going from two heats to one heat this has been a huge point of discussion with basically nobody agreeing with it. But as I'm sure you're not surprised, ISU and IOC don't give two fucks about fair competition, so there we go..

By the way, research shows even on the 1000m two runs would be quite a lot more fair, although the difference is definitely smaller.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Dutch women's team pursuit failing is easily the least surprising of all the speed skating these Olympics. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

:CAN beats :NED in W team pursuit SF! Weidemann really pulled them while de Jong struggled badly for Netherlands.

:JPN still favorite for gold?

It's riders from three different teams, there is zero chemistry and trust between these riders,  especially with Schouten in it from the same clan as Bergsma. Nothing else than this could be expected, honestly.

Team pursuit is simply not a priority in the Netherlands, at all. This is the result of that.

Let's hope Weidemann can complete her set of medals here in Beijing (she's already got a bronze and a silver so far).  

First time since 2010 that more than one Canadian speed skater has won a medal.

Things have not been going great for our speed skaters, particularly on the men's side, so let's hope things turn around this afternoon!  

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Dutch women's team pursuit failing is easily the least surprising of all the speed skating these Olympics. 

I remember someone asking why :NED wasn't favourite to win both golds in team pursuit. And it's pretty simple, the :NED team pursuit team always punches way bellow it's weight. Except in exactly Sochi. Strategy and teamwork is actually really important, you can't just throw the three fastest skaters together and expect them to win.

And the other expected elimination. Next :d

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

I remember someone asking why :NED wasn't favourite to win both golds in team pursuit. And it's pretty simple, the :NED team pursuit team always punches way bellow it's weight. Except in exactly Sochi. Strategy and teamwork is actually really important, you can't just throw the three fastest skaters together and expect them to win.

You were spot on.

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

It's really very easy:

Team pursuit is no priority in the Netherlands, never has been. Plus in the women's case, bitching between riders from rival teams.

Individually the system in the Netherlands has always paid off and that's what people care most about, but for a team event it's expectedly useless.

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

It's really very easy:

Team pursuit is no priority in the Netherlands, never has been. Plus in the women's case, bitching between riders from rival teams.

Individually the system in the Netherlands has always paid off and that's what people care most about, but for a team event it's expectedly useless.

Meanwhile for a lot of countries, including :CAN, the team pursuit is *the* race the program wants to win. But that makes sense since everyone who skates for those countries usually train together (Canada has two training groups now, but one of them (Quebec City) is basically a sprint group and the other (Calgary) is essentially the distance group so it works out).