website statistics

Biathlon at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

14 hours ago, SalamAkhi said:

Go anywhere else, any forum, and tell them you want the pursuit out of the Games. They will rebuff you, when they are not simply insulting :d

The only other forum where I talk about a biathlon, a Dutch one (very active at least during the Olympics, decent outside of it), always agrees with it being utter nonsense to have a set of Olympic medals both for a qualifying event and the 'main' event :p 

It's kind of like giving Olympic medals for the short program in figure skating, and then also one for the overall, whilst still counting the short program scores. It's perfectly fine for the world championships of said sports, but not so much for the Olympics, where events should be as much as possible stand-alone events, with everyone who starts having 'equal' chances (as far as possible of course).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now noticed the Tandrevold situation by the way, damn :yikes:

Hope she'll be fine..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

The only other forum where I talk about a biathlon, a Dutch one (very active at least during the Olympics, decent outside of it), always agrees with it being utter nonsense to have a set of Olympic medals both for a qualifying event and the 'main' event :p 

It's kind of like giving Olympic medals for the short program in figure skating, and then also one for the overall, whilst still counting the short program scores. It's perfectly fine for the world championships of said sports, but not so much for the Olympics, where events should be as much as possible stand-alone events, with everyone who starts having 'equal' chances (as far as possible of course).

I tried it on French or international "specific" forums, never seen anybody fully agree. Sometimes they admit it's pretty unfair but say "hey it's cool and historic now so we won't remove it", most of the times I get "downvoted" and considered strange or outrageous "hey other sports are the same, pursuit is EXCITING". I keep saying its status is unique and with nothing alike but they dodge the argument. 

1 hour ago, SalamAkhi said:

I tried it on French or international "specific" forums, never seen anybody fully agree. Sometimes they admit it's pretty unfair but say "hey it's cool and historic now so we won't remove it", most of the times I get "downvoted" and considered strange or outrageous "hey other sports are the same, pursuit is EXCITING". I keep saying its status is unique and with nothing alike but they dodge the argument. 

This is basically what the Dutch Eurosport commentator (a former World Cup biathlete) also often says: "Sure, there are the sprint gaps, but the races are still generally exciting and basically nobody finishes in the spot they started in!"

Yeah. I mean...

giphy-downsized-large.gif