website statistics

Biathlon at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

2 hours ago, phelps said:

don't worry, it won't happen anymore in 4 years time...

in 2026, no snow sport will be under the floodlights (except maybe the alpine skiing slaloms in Bormio and some freestyle events, but I'm not sure about that, too)...

Is that official? Because Turin had both freestyle skiing and ski jumping under the lights. I am pretty sure the last Winter Olympics with no snow events under the lights was Salt Lake City.

Yeah, I recall the ski jumping and aerials under the lights in 2006. Italy is a country where they have that mid-day siesta period so they would be more destined to hosting more events at nights.

Hosting night events at SLC would be terrible for European audiences, I suspect in 2030 they will only host some US-strong freestyle events to ignore the European demands. But events like ski jumping will be held in local daylight to please the European market IMO.

20 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Hosting night events at SLC would be terrible for European audiences, I suspect in 2030 they will only host some US-strong freestyle events to ignore the European demands. But events like ski jumping will be held in local daylight to please the European market IMO.

Yeah, that's exactly what they did in Vancouver in 2010. I remember everything being scheduled really early compared to the last few games.

22 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Yeah, that's exactly what they did in Vancouver in 2010. I remember everything being scheduled really early compared to the last few games.

They had some snow events at night, including the halfpipe, no doubt for the benefit of American television.  

44 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, I recall the ski jumping and aerials under the lights in 2006. Italy is a country where they have that mid-day siesta period so they would be more destined to hosting more events at nights.

I don't see any reason to think we won't see plenty of events at night.

21 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

They had some snow events at night, including the halfpipe, no doubt for the benefit of American television.  

I don't see any reason to think we won't see plenty of events at night.

Unless the Italian organizers have released some info about exact timing of the events I see no reason to believe @phelps  is 100% right but maybe he knows something we don't :p  NBC might have their way with summer Olympics but nobody in Norway is getting up at 3 am to watch cross country under the floodlights. SLC will have all non-US strong events during daytime. Ski jumping, biathlon & cross country being prime examples.

4 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Wind blowing like it was at Arber last week.

2 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

This is going to be chaotic :d

Yes it is.  And yes it is!