website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Qualification Systems Road to Paris 2024

1 hour ago, freds77 said:

Not sure that France will be qualified for Field Hockey. It's look like the same fact than Team Brazil in Rio 2016.

The document already says both teams are qualified due to satisfying the condition of being top 25 ranked. 

18 minutes ago, LDOG said:

The document already says both teams are qualified due to satisfying the condition of being top 25 ranked. 

Yes, you're right! I don't read the document completely.

Here is an article who confirm that men's and Women's of Team France for Field Hockey are qualified. https://thesportsgrail.com/hockey-ioc-okays-qualification-pathway-for-paris-2024-hosts-france-get-direct-spots/

how do you read this (from Taekwondo document)

does it mean they don't award quota if less than 4 athletes registered for a weight ? :mumble: it doesn't make sense

that happened a lot before and it's highly possible again even in Africa and Asia in heavier weights. in Oceania it's a sure thing in almost all weights (because they limit NOCs to 2 per gender)

Untitled.jpg

34 minutes ago, MHSN said:

how do you read this (from Taekwondo document)

does it mean they don't award quota if less than 4 athletes registered for a weight ? :mumble: it doesn't make sense

that happened a lot before and it's highly possible again even in Africa and Asia in heavier weights. in Oceania it's a sure thing in almost all weights (because they limit NOCs to 2 per gender)

Untitled.jpg

I think it's what the document mean, and not only limited to 4 registration but also included no-show or failed weigh-in, so you never know until the game begins.

36 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

I think it's what the document mean, and not only limited to 4 registration but also included no-show or failed weigh-in, so you never know until the game begins.

it doesn't make sense, they didn't mention it anywhere else in the document

they didn't make Oceania an exemption , and they also didn't mention two quotas. it says "a quota place"

to me it makes sense to take the 2nd quota in this situation (with 3 or 2 competitors) but still the tournament champion qualifies for the Olympics

So once again Georgiadou and Gkountoura can't both qualify in the women's sabre :rolleyes:

I hope Georgiadou makes it this time as she didn't get the chance to go to Tokyo. She's currently top 10 so it would be a shame for her to once again not even have the opportunity to go.

Plus Gkountoura is much younger and will have more chances after Paris (plus she already went to Tokyo).

Usually if there are participation requirements it is mentioned earlier in the document, not in the reallocation section. It could mean that for the quota to be reallocated there must be four competing athletes, rather than the original quota needing at least four competing athletes.

If they do mean the original quota that pretty much voids the Oceania qualifier, unless there's some coordination and they can get 1 or 2 weight classes. It can also affected some of the other continents in the women's -67kg and +67kg, for example, the Asian women's -67kg qualifier only had 3 athletes.

Maybe the intent is they didn't want athletes getting a free quota for just showing up like Jordan and Tonga in women's -67kg and Australia in men's -58kg, but then they should make a rule saying that the qualifying athlete must defeat at least one opponent (also allow a three person bracket be round robin for the continents with two quotas)

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Usually if there are participation requirements it is mentioned earlier in the document, not in the reallocation section. It could mean that for the quota to be reallocated there must be four competing athletes, rather than the original quota needing at least four competing athletes.

If they do mean the original quota that pretty much voids the Oceania qualifier, unless there's some coordination and they can get 1 or 2 weight classes. It can also affected some of the other continents in the women's -67kg and +67kg, for example, the Asian women's -67kg qualifier only had 3 athletes.

Maybe the intent is they didn't want athletes getting a free quota for just showing up like Jordan and Tonga in women's -67kg and Australia in men's -58kg, but then they should make a rule saying that the qualifying athlete must defeat at least one opponent (also allow a three person bracket be round robin for the continents with two quotas)

yeah that's why I was confused.

either way this part is not clear and I believe we will have some problems when the qualification tournaments start.

if they seriously have such a rule (which I doubt) it's better for Oceania to cancel its qualification tournament, that way they still can have 8 athletes in the Games. :d

11 minutes ago, MHSN said:

yeah that's why I was confused.

either way this part is not clear and I believe we will have some problems when the qualification tournaments start.

if they seriously have such a rule (which I doubt) it's better for Oceania to cancel its qualification tournament, that way they still can have 8 athletes in the Games. :d

I hope they mean it like you said cause Oceania getting everywhere quotas for free is a joke anyway. I think they should be with another continent like in wrestling. 
i know it is nice to have all these small pacific states, but any other athlete from other continent is a potential medal contender. I am in favor of quality. 

Or as an alternative you could say Oceania gets two quota per gender per ranking. Four is too much.