website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Qualification Systems Road to Paris 2024

6 hours ago, intoronto said:

Boxing per this: https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/boost-for-future-of-olympic-boxing-as-ioc-accepts-overhaul-of-qualifying-system-41516035.html

The top eight ranked boxers in each of the 13 Olympic weight categories on December 31, 2003 will qualify for Paris.

Boxers will earn qualification points in a new Golden Belt series being run under the auspices of the IBA in 2023. The number of Golden Belt tournaments which will be run next year, and the number of qualification points awarded at each tournament, has not been published.

The situation is further complicated because the IBA suggests that boxers from two different weight categories can earn qualification points for one of the Olympic weight categories. So, a 54kg boxer could qualify for the 57kg Olympic weight category.

Following the initial allocation of Olympic places there would be a second allocation on March 31, 2024 which would again be based on the ranking system.

However, the then highest ranked boxer – not previously qualified - from each continent (Africa, Asia, Europe, Oceania, and Pan America) would be guaranteed a place

The two final spots in each category would be decided at a World Qualification tournament which would be held before May 2024. The two finalists in each category would be allocated an Olympic place.

Some spots are missing, I am assuming host quota and wild cards.

Some more details 

16 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

I know the urban sports aren't the most popular on this forum, but honestly these combined urban sports events sound like a blast to attend as a spectator.

I wonder if it's wise to give Olympic quotas almost entirely based on the ranking in a tough and injury prone sport like boxing.

I mean that boxing task force cancelled two Olympic qualification events because they hadn't enough time between the events. this is boxing, not tennis you can't compete twice in a month, there should be something like 3 months gap between the events, remember any of those events will take a week or more and they have to watch their bodyweight everyday to not get disqualified.

it sucks that most of the guys who make decisions for the sport were not serious athletes themselves :thumbdown:, they don't know what it means to cut weight, several times a year. that's torture but they have no other option if they don't want to miss the Olympics.

Mr Bach definitely doesn't know anything about cutting weight. he just orders to cut events in these sports with several bodyweights without thinking about athletes' health.

2 hours ago, Jinzha said:

I know the urban sports aren't the most popular on this forum, but honestly these combined urban sports events sound like a blast to attend as a spectator.

yeah, unfortunately the problem is that only 1 of those disciplines can be named "sport" (and 1 of the remaining 3 as long as it is right now, it's girls & boys game, with many ethic issues about the age of the best performers and who actually controls their lives, earnings, education and so on)...:rolleyes: :pope:

40 minutes ago, phelps said:

yeah, unfortunately the problem is that only 1 of those disciplines can be named "sport" (and 1 of the remaining 3 as long as it is right now, it's girls & boys game, with many ethic issues about the age of the best performers and who actually controls their lives, earnings, education and so on)...:rolleyes: :pope:

Of course I fully agree that urban sports potential as great (live) spectator experiences, doesn't change the fact that sports like skateboarding need a proper minimum age for competing. And I also still prefer more traditional time or points based sports over jury sports.

I also just realised that the X-games have been a thing for probably decades. But a small 'X-games light' with BMX, skateboarding and beach volleyball in the Netherlands, I would probably enjoy. So I'm seeing a little potential.

22 hours ago, phelps said:

I was sceptical but at the games I did quite enjoy the Skateboarding and BMX Freestyle, and tbh there's no reason they can't be called sport. That said, I agree the skateboarders in particular are too young, and it's a bit odd that it's being presented as this amazing thing that a 13 year old is competing at the Olympics

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

These things make me confused about whether or not I'm supposed to think this is a good thing or not. I think it is, although I fear the lost quotas are taken off in the most unlogical way, judging by federations' usual shenanigans.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!