website statistics

Track Cycling Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 1 year later...

Current quota projection based on Sept '22 month-end rankings:

image.png

With the World Championships taking place next week, I'd expect to see some movement in quotas but at this very, very early stage in the qualification cycle, a couple of things are worth highlighting:

:AUS projected to gain a couple of extra riders on the women's side, fielding 2 riders in both the Individual Sprint and the Keirin despite the fact that they are just outside the qualification criteria for the Team Sprint event.

:BEL projected to gain a spot in the Men's Team Pursuit

:CHN is not currently projected to secure any quotas on the track. I've been running these projections for the last few months and across the board China has dropped back in the rankings to the point that they're not even all that close to securing a qualifying position. I assume this is due to the fact that they haven't been fully engaged on the international circuit due to Covid so I expect this to change as we go through the 2023 season. 

:GBR are finally projected to close the only real gap in the track team with a spot in the Women's Team Sprint. This would be the first time since London 2012 that Team GB have competed in the event. This also has the added advantage of securing an additional individual spot in the Women's Keirin and Individual Sprint events.

:ITA projected to secure 4 additional quotas on the track with 2 riders in both the Women's Individual Sprint and Keirin events.

:JPN currently look like they could be heading towards a bigger squad than they fielded for their home games with quotas gained in both the Men's and Women's Team Sprits. This would mean they would have 2 individual berths in the Individual Sprint and Keirin events. They are also projected to take a berth in the Men's Madison.

50 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

image.png

With the World Championships taking place next week, I'd expect to see some movement in quotas but at this very, very early stage in the qualification cycle, a couple of things are worth highlighting:

:AUS projected to gain a couple of extra riders on the women's side, fielding 2 riders in both the Individual Sprint and the Keirin despite the fact that they are just outside the qualification criteria for the Team Sprint event.

:CHN is not currently projected to secure any quotas on the track. I've been running these projections for the last few months and across the board China has dropped back in the rankings to the point that they're not even all that close to securing a qualifying position. I assume this is due to the fact that they haven't been fully engaged on the international circuit due to Covid so I expect this to change as we go through the 2023 season. 

:GBR are finally projected to close the only real gap in the track team with a spot in the Women's Team Sprint. This would be the first time since London 2012 that Team GB have competed in the event. This also has the added advantage of securing an additional individual spot in the Women's Keirin and Individual Sprint events.

:ITA projected to secure 4 additional quotas on the track with 2 riders in both the Women's Individual Sprint and Keirin events.

:JPN currently look like they could be heading towards a bigger squad than they fielded for their home games with quotas gained in both the Men's and Women's Team Sprits. This would mean they would have 2 individual berths in the Individual Sprint and Keirin events. They are also projected to take a berth in the Men's Madison.

I'm hoping that it will stay like is it, at least for :POL :d Its very rare when Poland have quotas in each possible event in any sport at Olympics, in our case lately it was happening only with modern pentathlon and slalom canoeing.

9 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

image.png

I'm surprised to see the women's team sprint for the Netherlands is not projected to qualify yet? They were second in the recent european championship.

Italy's 2 more quota places in the Sprint/Keirin most likely won't be use, except 1 (in both races) for Miriam Vece, who's the only competitive girl we have...

meanwhile we have an amazing generation of young sprinters among the boys (especially Mattia Predomo, who just destroyed the field in all the sprint disciplines at the junior worlds)...

this year it's still too early, but I hope that by the next campaign thay can have some decent results among the senior ranks and even qualify for the Olympics...

47 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

I'm surprised to see the women's team sprint for the Netherlands is not projected to qualify yet? They were second in the recent european championship.

The Netherlands are currently ranked 11th and about 2,000 shy of a place in top 8. I expect them to make some progress at World Championships and then continue that progress in 2023. 

Do all three 2022/23/24 World Championships count toward the Olympic Ranking or is it just the 2023 event?  (I am reading the head of section D1. of the Qualification document.)  I am a bit confused by the wording when it uses the word "includes", which implies there might be others to count as well.

5 minutes ago, Cmon Mary said:

Do all three 2022/23/24 World Championships count toward the Olympic Ranking or is it just the 2023 event?  (I am reading the head of section D1. of the Qualification document.)  I am a bit confused by the wording when it uses the word "includes", which implies there might be others to count as well.

I understand it as only the 2023 world championships count for the ranking. But I am not an English mothertongue so you might understand it better than me here :d

Also, the 2024 World Championships will be in October 2024 so for sure not part of the ranking.

6 minutes ago, Sindo said:

I understand it as only the 2023 world championships count for the ranking. But I am not an English mothertongue so you might understand it better than me here :d

Also, the 2024 World Championships will be in October 2024 so for sure not part of the ranking.

I think you are right. Qualification explicitly just states 2023 edition.