website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Medal Count

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

What I find interesting is that non-European nations climbed over us compared to Rio, but we have the same placement on the European ranking behind the "Big 5" of :GBR  :ROC  :FRA  :GER  :ITA  and the one mid-sized nation of :NED. There's a big gap between these 6 European nations and the rest of Europe, :HUN is in the middle of that gap. 

The Dutch are now what countries like :HUN  :ROU  :BUL were not that long ago, they are now the country representing the mid-sized European nations (in terms of population) in the top10 of the medal table. The rise of Netherlands and fall of the Warsaw pact countries kinda represent how Western Europe has evolved over the years at the Summer Games while post-Soviet countries slowly lost their strength after the fall of communism. The Dutch are on the level in Tokyo where we were in Barcelona, for us that was the last time where we had a chance to realistically win 10+ gold and 30+ total medals, Tokyo might just be the start for Netherlands to win 30+ medals per SOG from now on. 

I dont consider the situation so disappointing from :HUN perspective. We were 1 more gold medal away from 11th place. And the result we had in London (8-4-6) when we had 10th place in the totals, would land us 11th place as well

1 minute ago, pdr4332 said:

I dont consider the situation so disappointing from :HUN perspective. We were 1 more gold medal away from 11th place. And the result we had in London (8-4-6) when we had 10th place in the totals, would land us 11th place as well

I didn't say that it's disappointing, on the contrary, I think what we have now in term of total medals (20) is the peak of what can be realistically achieved for us against nations who are far stronger economically. 

@Vektor Just like @Federer91said, new programmes don't help. And I guess it will get worse and worse in the future. Then if Brits and related continue to grow everywhere there will be even less space in the most traditional sports for us (Swimming, Modern Pentathlon speaking about :HUN ) .

Yeah, double British gold from M Pentathlon is kinda painful(sportingly speaking obv), that was our house!

Nine of the top 10 are countries who you would expect to be there and usually are there 

Netherlands is the other country who had a great games 

I had once expected Sth Korea to become  a more or less ongoing top 10 country but they have fallen way back 

The  Eastern European countries which used to be in the top 10  now devote  less resources for  both Olympic sport and doping than they did  in their glory days. They aren't coming back 

In terms of top 5 there are always USA , China and Russia . GB sees itself as permanently belonging to this group 

Well good luck with that . It costs a lot of money to be in the top group which some people may consider excessive given the size of the UK economy .

I can't help thinking it's spending money on elites at the expense of kid's sport and community well being  . The Nordic countries have a much healthier and active population than the UK but win far less medals . I know which I prefer but Britons prefer their sport to be something you watch  on TV rather than something you might do yourself 

I think European countries put too much emphasis on bringing in migrants to to do their elite sport for them  ( rather like  USA brings in migrants to win them Nobel Prizes )

Seems so much like football teams buying players to me 

But, heh , it's their country 

It wasn't a great Olympics for Iran, I was expecting more medals but less gold medals, so I can say I'm OK with our result 3 G, 2 S, 2 B. actually in term of quality of medals this is our 2nd best ever result after London 2012 with 7 gold medals. but we lost two of our serious gold medal chances before the start for stupid reasons and some of our medal prospects didn't even qualify for the games. so it was supposed to be a bad tournament even before the start. and the first week was mixed up with political stupid discussions. at least some better results in 2nd week erased all those bad memories.

but I was expecting 1 or 2 gold medals, while our biggest champion failed to repeat his gold from Rio, we had two completely surprising gold medal winners.

my country is going through a very tough time, these past 4-5 years were really hard for everybody including our athletes (that's why we had lots of athletes leaving the country), I believe most of our sport federations had something like 20% of the budget they had in 2012. :( (even though that hurt our minor sports even much more) so it was expected to not see an improvement from 2016. still adding Karate to the Olympics was supposed to be a big deal for us to make up for other sports problems.

still it was a great two weeks, another good memory of Olympics in my life to remember forever. I hope for no more global disaster to see Paris 2024 in a better situation.