website statistics

Poll 92/100 | Which are your nation's 3 safest medal picks for Tokyo?

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think your men’s 800 free relay is a far bigger favorite than Asher-Smith. I think even your women’s 4x100 m relay has a better chance to medal (bronze behind the US and Jamaica) than Asher-Smith individually.

Asher-Smith is just one of a group of likely medallists I mentioned and frankly I think you're badly underestimating her in the 200m.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

I would favor Zverev, Medvedev and Nadal over him on Outdoor hard court. Has he ever won a title on outdoor hard court? He is one of the top 5 players on outdoor hard court probably, but I am not sure if he is a favorite for a medal.

He's lost all five of his outdoor hard court finals, but they were against Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Zverev and Thiem. Of these, only Djokovic and Zverev are going to Tokyo.

Medvedev is also going to Tokyo of course.

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

No. Dawson certainly isn’t a bigger favorite than Scott (200 free), Dean (200 free), men’s medley relay, men’s 800 free relay, or mixed medley relay (and I didn’t even mention events from other sports, like rowing men’s eight).

Jonnie Brownlee is a romantic hoice, but not a rational one - frankly, Alex Yee is a MUCN likelier winner at the moment - if he makes the front group on the bike after the swim - and that IF is the key - , on current form, he's slight favourite - Vincent Luis is not close to his form leading up to the Pandemic. Mola of course will always be a threat.

Brownlee, however, will be in his element in the relay - he's actually much stronger over sprint distances than Ali Brownlee ever was, and stick him after the superswimmer Learmouth....

12 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Jonnie Brownlee is a romantic hoice, but not a rational one - frankly, Alex Yee is a MUCN likelier winner at the moment - if he makes the front group on the bike after the swim - and that IF is the key - , on current form, he's slight favourite - Vincent Luis is not close to his form leading up to the Pandemic. Mola of course will always be a threat.

Brownlee, however, will be in his element in the relay - he's actually much stronger over sprint distances than Ali Brownlee ever was, and stick him after the superswimmer Learmouth....

Brownlee would probably be best employed as a support rider in the individual event trying to deliver Yee in the leading group for the run.

43 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

Brownlee would probably be best employed as a support rider in the individual event trying to deliver Yee in the leading group for the run.

I would agree he'd be an excellent super domestique, with the capacity to move for himself depending on how the race panned out, but I don't think it's likely to happen. One would hope the more patchy quality of the Olympic field might help Yee, as there is less likely to be a pronounced break between a large group of strong swimmers and the rest, which would hopefully allow him to work himself back to the lead peloton.

In the women's side, for GB the perfect scenario would be the three women getting free with maybe another three or four others, with Learmouth piling it on at the front - that would put Georgia in a good spot for the run.

I think it's an odd scenario - the men's through yee is the best bet for gold - on is current form if he makes a manageable front group, he becomes favourite - but the women's race may be a batter bet for a medal at all, because its VERY hard to see all three failing, but there are a number of very dangerous entries that could beat them for gold in the run.

5 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Sure, they absolutely planned to be the inferior team to Germany in front of their home crowd because ...

No remotely knowledgeable fan who watched that game can come to the conclusion that the Netherlands are far superior to all other teams. They had home advantage at the European championships and still were the worse team in the final.

I didn't watch that game in particular but stats suggest it was a completely even game:  

https://tms.fih.ch/matches/14920

Regardless of that:

1. It was just one game, of a tournament that gave "olympic preparation" vibes more than anything.

2. They have lost only 2 official games in this cycle, none of them to Germany.

3. Thread is about safest medal, not safest gold. They will 99.99% win a medal. 

8 hours ago, dodge said:

Apart from those you've mentioned, Kurt Walker in boxing, the Mens Double in rowing, the golfers and both sailing crews (We know Annalise Murphy turns up at the Olympics) are all potential medalist. Outside chances include Jack Wooley in Taekwondo, the Fletchers in Judo, rugby and hockey teams (0-0ing their way to another final), Natalya Coyle in MP and even the track cycling boys are all outside bets. It is genuinely the first time Ireland have had so many contendors

Obviously the vast majority won't medal but I do think that with average luck (ie no illness, injuries, falls or dodgy decisions), The Lightweight doubles, Puspure, Harrington and McClenaghan should medal. 

Would agree with all of this and add that my big Olympic bet will be in rowing on the W4. For Gold. They will certainly medal along with :AUS and :NED. Currently 6/1 for Gold. 

14 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I would agree he'd be an excellent super domestique, with the capacity to move for himself depending on how the race panned out, but I don't think it's likely to happen. One would hope the more patchy quality of the Olympic field might help Yee, as there is less likely to be a pronounced break between a large group of strong swimmers and the rest, which would hopefully allow him to work himself back to the lead peloton.

In the women's side, for GB the perfect scenario would be the three women getting free with maybe another three or four others, with Learmouth piling it on at the front - that would put Georgia in a good spot for the run.

I think it's an odd scenario - the men's through yee is the best bet for gold - on is current form if he makes a manageable front group, he becomes favourite - but the women's race may be a batter bet for a medal at all, because its VERY hard to see all three failing, but there are a number of very dangerous entries that could beat them for gold in the run.

Changing sports there was another boost for your selection Sky Brown who won gold at the X Games yesterday.