website statistics

Olympic Games 2020 League

Day 7 Standings

Hello and welcome to the points tallies of the 7th day of competition and the total standings summary after Day 7. I may not finish the Day 5 + 6 Report today, but even though you probably wouldn't care about me completing it, I still want to finish it because of me being a slight perfectionist. Also, sorry for not posting this post earlier, as I woke up feeling pretty lazy and later just wanted to enjoy the Olympics and not stress myself out trying to update the standings the moment the official results are up. Anyways, time for the thing this post is even up for.

Final Day 7 Standings (Top 10):

1. :NZL New Zealand | 81 × 4 = 324 pts

2. :GBR Great Britain | 117 × 2 = 234 pts

3. :CRO Croatia | 55 × 4 = 220 pts

4. :CZE Czech Republic | 50 × 4 = 200 pts

5. :CHN China | 194 × 1 = 194 pts

6. :ETH Ethiopia | 32 × 5 = 160 pts

7. :NED Netherlands | 50 × 3 = 150 pts

8. :AUS Australia | 49 × 3 = 147 pts

9. :RUS Russia (ROC) | 128 × 1 = 128 pts

10. :KOR South Korea | 63 × 2 = 126 pts

Current Total Standings (Top 10):

1. | (-) | :AUS Australia | 1395 pts

2. | (+1) | :GBR Great Britain | 1108 pts

3. | (-1) | :NED Netherlands | 1047 pts

4. | (-) | :USA USA | 968 pts

5. | (+1) | :CHN China | 891 pts

6. | (-1) | :ITA Italy | 844 pts

7. | (+3) | :RUS Russia (ROC) | 722 pts

8. | (-) | :JPN Japan | 712 pts

9. | (-) | :FRA France | 694 pts

10. | (+2) | :KOR South Korea | 682 pts

Biggest Gainers:

1. :ETH Ethiopia | 89th -> 39th (+50:yikes:)

2. :GRE Greece | 66th -> 38th (+28)

=3. :COL Colombia | 51st -> 33rd 

=3. :CUB Cuba | 61st -> 43rd (+18)

5. :AZE Azerbaijan | 80th -> 68th (+12)

Newcomers:

:UGA Uganda (52nd)

:MRI Mauritius (=81st)

:MOZ Mozambique (=81st)

Full Standings are always here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NiyTqxwllnpaL3jr_ziLk4UTxz6QuVU6sQNjZ8FVRUU/edit?usp=sharing

Day 7 Report will come out with differences which you'll see later. Stay tuned for the piece which will, as always, be written by a sleepy me at midnight.

Day 7 Report

Welcome to the final competition day of Week 1 of the 2020 Summer Olympics League. It has been an eventful day like any other competition one, full of rises and falls, strange occurences and surpirsing performances. Australia kept their lead of the League, but lost a decent-sized chunk of the said lead to GB, who massively outperformed its former colony (kinda). The Day 7 victory went to New Zealand, and how they got it will be talked about in...

The Fight for the Top (Day 7 Edition)

Competition technically began with Badminton, but the medal fights began in Rowing and that's where this segment ends, because New Zealand absolutely destroyed the field with 2 golds in Men's Eight and Women's Single Sculls and also a silver in Women's Eight. This was enough for New Zealand to keep the lead for the rest of the day. A pretty boring day for this segment, but let's move on.

The Great 8

Here I talk about the Top 8 in the total standings and their Day 7 performance, but this time, it's slightly different. Tell me if you like this type of reporting more or not, also give critisizms and recommendations as I will really benefit from them.

This day for the Great 8 was varying degrees of good. One team that really showed up yesterday is :GBR Team GB. A gold from Bethany Shriever in Women's BMX Cycling plus 2 silvers and 3 bronzes contributed to their second best daily points tally of 234, only behind the amazing Day 3 one of 270, which was what the team really needed to challenge for the League lead, because :USA Team USA, the :NED Dutch and :AUS Australia had very much below average days (based on points), with the Aussies earning the smallest daily points tally in this year's Olympics (disregarding Day 1 because then they didn't score any points).

:CHN China had their best day yet (again, based on points) with 194 points, which was definitely helped to achieve by the 1-2 finishes in table tennis, badminton and trampoline gymnastics - clear dominance, which helped them to rise ahead of :ITA Italy to 5th.

Speaking of the "Pizza Land", they would probably want to forget yesterday in its entirety, as they harnessed a record low 30 points, very out of character considering they were very consistently good before and out of the 15 they earned before multipliers were applied, 12 (4/5 of the Day 7 points tally) came from a bronze in the Women's Individual Archery from Lucilla Boari and 3 came from Rowing and Fencing. A piss-poor performance for the Italians. The rest of the Great 8 also had below average results, except for the :RUS Russians (Russian Olympic Commitee-ians), who did very damn well by earning 2 golds, 3 silvers and a bronze, them and some random event points totalling up to a decent 128 day point tally which helped them rise from 12th to 7th.

In conclusion, an OK day for the Great 8, both current and the one after Day 6, and that OK-ness helped create a tight battle for the spots in the Top 8, with Russia (ROC) in 7th and Hungary in 13th only seperated by 74 points, which is funnily a smaller gap than the one between Italy in 6th and Russians in 7th. Everything is still up for grabs, just countries have to put in the effort to grab it.

The Other Guys and Gals

This section is simular to the Great 8 of today, except it features the rest of the field instead of the Top 8 of the total standings. Let's get into it, shall we?

The :CZE Czechs are doing very well, as they became the only nation of which their day points tally was made up of 2 gold medals (25 points each) and nothing else. The gold medalists were the canoeist Jiri Prskavec in Men's K1 Slalom and judoka Lukas Krpalek in Men's Judo +100kg discipline. The nation you can't describe as "doing very well" tho is :HUN Hungary. It's athletes yesterday got just over half of Day 6's points tally with 6. 

I wanted to talk about the Athletics and how well the mid-African countries have been doing, but accidentally hit the "home" button in the browser on my phone and lost everything I wrote. F*ck.

So that was the Day 7 of this year's Summer Olympics League Report. The day wasn't any different in concept: ups and downs, surprises, record breaking, the usual stuff, but just like any other day, it was way more different if you looked deeper into it. Hopefully you enjoyed today's twist on the report formula and if you didn't or felt it probably needed something to improve, let me know in the thread. Critizism and recommendations help immensely. Thanks for reading and see you later today (if you don't live in America (the continent)). Bye!

Day 8 Standings 

Welcome to the VERY late 8th day of the 2020 Summer Olympics League competition standings. Sorry for having this post super delayed, as I was away for most of the day (up until mid-evening) and later felt kinda lazy until 23:00 for me when I started finishing up the day and the current total standings. I will try my hardest to update the standings not that after an event which confirms atleast 1 of the Top 8 spots in a discipline rankings, something like that. Also, there sadly won't be interesting (hopefully) trivia like Newcomers and Biggest Gainers due to time constrains. Anyways, the standings.

Final Day 8 Standings (Top 10):

1. :AUS Australia | 102 × 3 = 306 pts

2. :SUI Switzerland | 72 × 4 = 288 pts

3. :JAM Jamaica | 57 × 5 = 285 pts

4. :FRA France | 109 × 2 = 218 pts

=5. :GBR Great Britain | 86 × 2 = 172 pts

=5. :SWE Sweden | 43 × 4 = 172 pts

7. :NZL New Zealand | 40 × 4 = 160 pts

8. :ITA Italy | 77 × 4 = 154 pts

=9. :DOM Dominican Republic | 36 × 4 = 144 pts

=9. :NED Netherlands | 48 × 3 = 144 pts

1. | (-) | :AUS Australia | 1701 pts

2. | (-) | :GBR Great Britain | 1280 pts

3. | (-) | :NED Netherlands | 1191 pts

4. | (-) | :USA USA | 1101 pts

5. | (-) | :CHN China | 1023 pts

6. | (-) | :ITA Italy | 998 pts

7. | (+2) | :FRA France | 912 pts

8. | (+7) | :SUISwitzerland | 892 pts

9. | (+3) | :NZL New Zealand | 828 pts

10. | (-3) | :RUS Russia (ROC) | 804 pts

Full Standings are always here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NiyTqxwllnpaL3jr_ziLk4UTxz6QuVU6sQNjZ8FVRUU/edit?usp=sharing

Day 8 Report is also not coming, but I will make a Day 8 + 9 Report later today, so stay tuned and bye!

Day 10 Standings

Welcome to the, what else, Day 10 Standings of the 2020 Summer Olympics Games happening around and in Tokyo, Tokyo Prefecture, Japan from July 23rd to August 8th of 2021 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Very sorry for not posting anything yesterday. I felt (and still kinda feel) really burned out from the League management and didn't bother to both complete the standings post and start writing the report post. I hope my interest in making these posts will revive more and more when the Olympics and, simultaneously, this league, will come closer and closer. Hopefully you understand and also enjoyed this league idea's execution and liked my posts so far and, if you did not, you are free to post any critizism on this very thread. I would really appreciate them as people have been only reacting to my posts and not commenting on them. Alright, apologies aside, let's get to the kinda useless stuff which is starting to become only a bump for this thread as most of my activity is on the spreadsheet. Maybe I will try and combine the trivia like Newcomers and Biggest Gainers to the Report post and have a single post per day, idrk.

Final Day 10 Standings (Top 10):

1. :CUB Cuba | 110 × 4 = 440 pts :yikes:

2. :CHN China | 218 × 1 = 218 pts

3. :ETH Ethiopia | 43 × 5 = 215 pts

4. :GER Germany | 102 × 2 = 204 pts

5. :GRE Greece | 37 × 4 = 148 pts

6. :GBR Great Britain | 70 × 2 = 140 pts

7. :PUR Puerto Rico | 25 × 5 = 125 pts

8. :INA Indonesia | 41 × 3 = 123 pts

9. :FRA France | 58 × 2 = 116 pts

10. :AUS Australia | 37 × 3 = 111 pts

1. (-) :AUS Australia | 2154 pts

2. (-) :GBR Great Britain | 1622 pts

3. (-) :USA USA | 1490 pts

4. (+1) :CHN China | 1383 pts

5. (-1) :NED Netherlands | 1374 pts

6. (-) :ITA Italy | 1202 pts

7. (-) :FRA France | 1138 pts

8. (+1) :RUS Russia (ROC) | 1056 pts

9. (+2) :GER Germany | 1045 pts

10. (-2) :SUI Switzerland | 1012 pts

Biggest Gainers:

1. :KEN Kenya | 98th -> 65th (+33)

2. :CUB Cuba | 50th -> 20th (+30)

=3.  :ETH Ethiopia | 54th -> 31st

=3. :MAR Morocco | 99th -> 76th (+23)

5. :KGZ Kyrgyzstan | 96th -> 82nd (+14)

Newcomers:

:PUR Puerto Rico (63rd)

:ERI Eritrea (101st)

:BAH Bahamas (105th)

Day 10 and a little bit Day 8 and 9 Report (that's how it's actually called) will be out later today, with sections and their format all returning from the Day 7 Report and one new coming your way there. See ya!

Day 11 Standings

Welcome to the Day 11 of the 2020 Summer Olympics Standings. Sorry for promising a Day 10 Report and not delivering it yesterday, I started writing it at 1:30 my time, because of the burnout and the laziness I felt didn't allow me to work on it earlier, and so I went asleep in the middle of writing the Report and didn't complete it. Hopefully all 7 of you understand. Alright, let's get the apologising aside and get to the good stuff.

Full Standings (no usual Top 10s of both the Day and the current Total Standings, because I don't really feel a point in making them): 

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NiyTqxwllnpaL3jr_ziLk4UTxz6QuVU6sQNjZ8FVRUU/edit?usp=sharing

Biggest Gainers:

1. :ARM Armenia | 74th -> 43rd (+31)

2. :KGZ Kyrgyzstan | 82nd -> 55th (+27)

3. :NGR Nigeria | 95th -> 73rd (+22)

4. :POL Poland | 39th -> 23rd (+16)

5. :UZB Uzbekistan | 52nd -> 40th (+12)

Newcomers:

:NAM Namibia (76th)

:GHA Ghana (87th)

:IVB British Virgin Islands (96th)

:ALG Algeria (109th)

:BRN Bahrain (111th)

Day 11 Report sadly won't come out due to it being 2 AM right now, so the Day 12 Report differences that may be applied to every report going forward I will say here. Today's Report will come out without the Fight for the Top, it'll come out without the Great 8 and the Other Guys and Gals Report segments and they will all be replaced by one giant segment: The Fight for the League, which will look over the teams left in the title of League Champions fight, their current league success and some other stuff associated with the battle for the League victory which I haven't decided upon yet. You'll see. Sorry for skipping 4 action-ful Day reports and from now on I am gonna try my hardest to put out a packed post which I will put my heart into making. Good night, and hopefully see ya later today with a new post! :bye:

Day 12 Standings 

Hello and welcome to the Day 12 Standings of this year's Olympics League! I have decided to delay the whole Report changes for today's (my time) one because it was pretty stressful and time consuming to try and do it today and yesterday and the delay may help filter some teams very unlikely to win the inaugural Olympics League (atleast I am hoping it's not the last) and make the Report writing process way quicker and more enjoyable. Alright, daily apology and greeting over, now the good stuff.

Full Standings: 

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NiyTqxwllnpaL3jr_ziLk4UTxz6QuVU6sQNjZ8FVRUU/edit?usp=sharing

Biggest Gainers:

1. :KEN Kenya | 70th -> 46th (+24)

2. :IRI Iran | 61st -> 45th (+16)

3. :UGA Uganda | 71st -> 59th (+12)

4. :KGZ Kyrgyzstan | 55th -> 47th (+8)

5. :EGY Egypt | 82nd -> 76th (+6)

Newcomers:

:SYR Syria (85th)

:LBR Liberia (107th)

:MNE Montenegro (112th)

:BOT Botswana (115th)

:TTO Trinidad & Tobago (116th)

There's not gonna be a Day 12 Report, but a Day 13 one I will try to drop later today or at the very start of the next day (my time), but even if later, it will come up on this thread, because I feel like there was enough time without a report and want to stop the "no Report streak". It will be the same concept as the one I wanted to apply to the Day 12 Report but later decided to not and delay them, like I said earlier. Good night everyone, see you on the next post, which is hopefully gonna be the Day 14 Report. Bye!

Day 14 Report

Welcome to the Day 14 of the 2020 Summer Olympics League Report. Yes, after exclusively working on this league silently via the Google Sheets spreadsheet, I am back on posting on this thread. The burnout just keeps growing as I had to delay the changes in Report style for 3 days and this post will be pretty lackluster but I may just be able to make it a full and extensive Report for Day 15. Ok, let's get into it.

Full Standings (changed the countries' names in the total standings to:

green, if they have a chance of winning the League, or

red, if they don't have a chance to be at the top at the end of it all): 

Very short report of the countries that can still win the League and how much more medals and points each of them can add to their total medal/points tally

Australia (leader of total standings):
Minimum 2844 pts (2817 + 27)

GB (2nd in total standings):
Maximum plus 16 Golds, 6 Silvers and 3 Bronzes (2530 + 1088 = 3618 pts max)

USA (3rd):
Maximum plus 23 Golds, 5 Silvers, 5 Bronzes, a 4th and a 5th Place (2169 + 735 = 2904 pts max)

Netherlands (4th):
Maximum 11 Golds, 4 Silvers, a Bronze and a 5th place (2145 + 1089 = 3234 pts max)

Again, I am very much hoping I can serve you a packed Report of the penultimate competition day and I hope you hope for that too. Good night and I'll see you later today my time (I'm, again, hoping). Bye!

Day 15 Report

Welcome to the report of the penultimate day of the inaugural 2020 Summer Olympics League. I wasn't able to experience the s*itload of medal matches and races live, sadly enough, because I was away from my home town for the first part of the day and the second part was spent away from home in a town event and I pretty much took it slow at the start by watching highlights of every event one by one until I left for the town event and then I came back after midnight and I decided to just update the standings without watching the highlights and spent the entire night doing that up until right now at 6 AM my time. The Report is gonna be pretty lackluster, but I plan on making it an evolving report for the final day, where I change the standings fight status throughout the morning. OK, rambling aside, now - the Report.

Full Standings: 

The Fight for the Victory:

So then, there were 2

Australia (leader):
Minimum 2976 pts (2967 + 9)

GB (2nd):
Maximum plus 4 Golds, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze, a 5th and a 7th places (2722 + 272 = 2994 pts max)

(set at 3:14 AM GMT with no looking at the results just yet)

I can't believe we are almost at the end of this year's Olympics and, simultaneously, it's League. This concept may return for upcoming popular sport championships and Winter Olympics, but stay tuned for if they do. See you in the Day 16 Report, but for now, bye!

:AUS AUSTRALIA WINS THE 2020 TOKYO SUMMER OLYMPICS LEAGUE!!!!!

After no :GBR British runner reached the Top 8 today in the Men's Marathon, they are now technically out of contest for the League victory too and it now will officially go to the Aussies (I didn't check the results and watched the replay of the end until a couple minutes ago).

Day 16 Standings and Report will come when all competition is over and the standings on a Google Sheets spreadsheet will be updated, which will happen up to a couple of hours after the final match of this (and last) year's Olympics are over.