website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Ceremonies

18 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

And in five weeks nobody will remember those words again :p  And we'll go back to 'Sayonara' being the most popular Japanese word globally :evil:

Which Japanese don't really say very often anyway because it's more like a farewell. ;) 

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I thought the whole annoying use of the word 'woke' (usually meant in a bad way) was reserved for angry Twitter people and such :lol:

Well, crap.

It's even more ironic that "woke Olympics" was a  US Republican / "conservative" talking point even before this ceremony for a couple of weeks and here it is uttered by a commenter from India :)

1 hour ago, Quasit said:

Of course with that mindset you're underestimating how many generally interested people there are educating themselves and looking up new words once they don't know something, like me. :p 

As an educator, I'll just say I'm happy Monzanator is not a colleague of mine having that outlook on "99% of people" :wacko:

One more thing.

It would be interesting to know what the Japanese people (in Japan at least) are thinking about Naomi Osaka's role in the ceremony. Do they like it, do they dislike it?

If someone speaks Japanese or has access to Japanese press, feel free to look it up in the coming days. 

4 hours ago, LDOG said:

The ideological shift in this forum over the last 5 years, holy crap.

In all honesty, the old forum had a fair share of trolls, racists and homophobes (for instance, that polish user who I can't remember the name who went to my facebook page to attack me), but today there are so many that people just seem to ignore the nasty comments. That's one of the main reasons I'm not active here anymore.

17 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

In all honesty, the old forum had a fair share of trolls, racists and homophobes (for instance, that polish user who I can't remember the name who went to my facebook page to attack me), but today there are so many that people just seem to ignore the nasty comments. That's one of the main reasons I'm not active here anymore.

This is what I am debating as well (whether or not I should continue to use this forum).

I have a number of nicks already on ignore (mostly simple trolls, and culture-war trolls)

But an user going to your FB page to attack you - wow that's just another level :(

Of course I don't visit the politics thread at all, as a I don't come here for discussing politics and the last thing I want is to debate foreign admirers of V. Orban, the despicable "prime minister" of my unfortunate country.

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

As an educator, I'll just say I'm happy Monzanator is not a colleague of mine having that outlook on "99% of people" :wacko:

This is the ugly truth. We've seen this with Tibet at Beijing OG 2008. Nobody cares about Tibet anymore, it's been ruled out as a lost cause by just about everyone. How Japanese people treat Japanese citizens with only one Japanese parent is totally up to Japanese people (surprise, surprise).  Japan survived 200+ years of the Sakoku policy, they are master isolationists and will be just fine without the world's approval.